Wireless errors

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wireless Hardware' started by Ashley, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Ashley

Ashley

I have been running a combined wired/wireless system for several years no with no problems, but recently have been experiencing long delays when operating groups across the network. Frequently it can take 3-4 seconds for a group to change and often you need to press the switch multiple times for the command to be actioned. Logic operating on the wireless network has become so erratic I have had to disable it. This is generally only a problem between the 2 networks. Wired to wired works flawlessly and wireless to wireless only rarely fails. When I examined to statistics over a 5 day period I get the following for the gateway and a typical switch:

Wireless Gateway

Total packets received 61801
    Total packets received with error 4370
    Total packets received with NACK 37
    Total packets received with NCA 24
    Total number of collisions detected 4760
    Total number of transmit attempts 757677
    Total number of transmit cancellations 3
    Total number of collisions detected in TEP 33607
    Total number of collisions notified during packet 2486
    Total number of transmissions dropped 692624
    Total number of successful transmissions 26867
    Total number of transmissions NACKed 52

Neo switch (typical)

Total packets received 777331
    Total packets received with error 8589
    Total packets received with NACK 13732
    Total packets received with NCA 123
    Total number of collisions detected 10821
    Total number of transmit attempts 8422
    Total number of transmit cancellations 2
    Total number of collisions detected in TEP 1065
    Total number of collisions notified during packet 164
    Total number of transmissions dropped 2417
    Total number of successful transmissions 3492
    Total number of transmissions NACKed 1281

Note that for the gateway I am getting 91% of transmissions dropped, and for an individual switch only about 30% (which still seems high). I have no other equipment operating on 433MHz and a scanner show no particular activity either. I have tried relocating the gateway to several alternate location without success, and all other wireless units appear to be working correctly.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Ashley, Mar 2, 2010
  2. Ashley

conor1

same

have had same ongoing problem on large project 1 wired cbus network and 3 no wireless cbus networks ,i have put it down to the building constuction ,alot of concrete ,underfloor heating and stuctural steel work.
    might help point you in right direction .

regards conor

conor1, Mar 9, 2010
  3. Ashley

Ashley

I've actually tried positioning the wireless bridge right next to a NEO wireless switch with a same results so it's unlikely to be obstructions limiting the range. What I don't understand is how the bridge can get so many transmission failures when most of the transmissions wouldn't be acknowledged anyway, so how does it know they failed? What cause transmission failures anyway and why is it only the bridge suffers from them so much?

Ashley

Ashley, Mar 15, 2010
  4. Ashley

ashleigh Moderator

The way the communication works, the bridge talks to ALL devices present even though you might think its only talking to the one right nearby. If there is another device present in the network, then its part of the communication as well.

If you have a marginal device, or its at the extreme of range [which is supposed to be catered for using other techniques], or you have a distant interferer, then these things can all disrupt the communication. Placing the gateway closer to a device may or may not make an improvement.

If it worked and suddenly is not working so well, check for interferers. They could be some distance away.

The transceivers used are totally monolithic (that is, all silicon) so there are no tuned circuits to drift or any of those old-fashioned troubles.

ashleigh, Mar 15, 2010
  5. Ashley

KevinH

I see your in this part of the world so just wondering if this is related ?
    http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5690

My wireless network has just in the last couple of days started working again - just as spring emerges. It was erratic for the last three months. Same last year in winter. I have a wireless switch in an unheated porch. A separate adjacent interior wireless network has remained fully operational so I'm not thinking interference. I haven't yet had the time to investigate the cause although I still suspect it's temperature related.

K

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2010
    KevinH, Mar 17, 2010
  6. Ashley

ashleigh Moderator

I'm really not sure what the above comments has to do with C-BUS WIRELESS. Which has nothing to do with MAC addresses and AP (Access Points).

ashleigh, Apr 7, 2011
Ask a Question