Windows - Out of Virtual Memory

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by vcahill, Jul 16, 2013.

1. vcahill

vcahill

Hi,

I have just started to play with my Colour C-Touch Screen running Firmware 4.12.0.0

Last night I added a page to watch my security camera an Axis P3364-LVE. I have set the image to take up the entire screen set to a refresh rate of 0.1sec to get the image to look more "video" like.

This continued to work this morning, but after 12-13 hours I got an "Windows - Out of Virtual Memory" error on the screen. I was also not able to remotely connect to the screen over the network (but I could still ping it). Only powering off/powering on fixed the issue.

Is there a memory bug in the camera application of the screen? I understand my setting is a little high, but if there is a memory leak I'm assuming if I set it to 0.2sec it will just be 24hours before I get the same error next time?

Additional Info:

* I have setup so that when I clicked the image I am returned to a default page of my floor plan indicating light status.

* The only logic in my screen is a an event that occurs at 9pm to automatically turn off selected lights.

Server: 2.12.3.0
    HomeGate: 4.12.0.0
    Operating System 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2013
    vcahill, Jul 16, 2013
  2. vcahill

Matty

H Vcahill,

Are you using a web browser component to display the webcam image or the webcam component?
    I'm not aware of any issues with the webcam component, there are known memoey issues with the web browser component on CTC's running SP2. This will only occur if the web browser component is left visible on the screen.

Regards,

Matty

Matty, Jul 22, 2013
  3. vcahill

vcahill

Hi,

I was using the camera component but I did modify the address it uses to point to the correct URL.

I have noticed that while it sits on the camera only page after a while i get that "C - Bus" progress bar in the top left corner, if i go back to the main screen then back to the video feed this goes away.

It leaves me feeling as if when I'm watching the video feed that my touchscreen logic won't be able to communicate to C-bus?

vcahill, Jul 22, 2013
  4. vcahill

Matty

With a refresh rate so high, the CPU usage will go right up.
    If your refresh rate is 10 frames per seconds but you're seeing less than 10 frames per second, the CPU is working flat out. This means that there's not enough CPU time spare for anything else while its redrawing the image on the screen.

There are no known memory problems with the webcam camera component. In the CTC log you can enable 'Show usage' to log the CPU, memory and screen redraw time. If the free memory is decreasing over the 12-13 hour period there is a problem. If the CPU is too high (>50%), you'll start seeing performance issues. If the screen redraw is more than 100ms you'll start seeing performance issues. Having this logging will allow you to fine tune the refresh interval to get the best effect without affecting performance.

Regards,

Matty

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2013
    Matty, Jul 23, 2013
  5. vcahill

Brendan Rogers

Hi vcahill,

Have you been able to adjust the size of the jpeg produced by your camera to match the size of your webcam component (i.e full screen at 640 by 480 pixels)? Some IP cameras allow the live jpeg image size to be different from the recorded image resolution, so you can record at a very high resolution, but watch at a more modest resolution. Mobotix IP cameras support this, for example.

Doing so will substantially reduce the processing overhead placed upon your C-touch screen, and may allow you to support higher frame rates.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2013
    Brendan Rogers, Jul 23, 2013
Ask a Question