Win7 Issue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nella, May 23, 2010.

1. nella

nella

I decided to do a bit of long overdue programming and pulled out a new notebook running W7. Plugged in the PCI as usual and tried to scan the network. It found the PCI but gave an error of being Unable to identify the project name and would not open the project. As I have worked on this project many times without issue, I assumed something basic was the problem, connected another burden, changed PCI, connected via a PAC, still the same issue.
    It would see the PAC or PCI but would not identify the Project.
    I then tried connecting via my desktop also running W7, same issue.
    I then pulled out an old notebook running Vista Ultimate, worked no problem at all.
    Has anyone got any ideas on why I could not scan using the Win7 machines?
    Toolkit 1.11.1 is installed on all machines and the force driver install box was ticked on all installs.

nella, May 23, 2010
  2. nella

ashleigh Moderator

Plain ole serial PCI, or USB PCI?

ashleigh, May 24, 2010
  3. nella

nella

USB PCI.
    I did notice that the PCI was shown as being connected to Comm port 5 or 7 or something but that that Comm port was not an option to scan in Toolkit.
    Having said that, it did see the PCI on Comm port 3 anyway, just could not identify the name of the project.

nella, May 24, 2010
  4. nella

ashleigh Moderator

Open the device manager.

Disconnect the USB PCI.

In device manager, expand the node "Ports (COM & LPT)"

Carefully note or memorise whats shown.

Plug in the USB PCI.

A new port with COM port number should appear.

Note that one down. Thats your PCI.

Close device manager.

Make sure to connect TK to that PCI and not one of the other serial ports.

Oh, and if you have not already done so, make sure to use the latest Toolkit, it contains a neato thing that shows for each COM port what its connected to (the device name).

Once you have that all square, then we can be sure that you are actually scanning through the USB PCI and not some other non-existant device.

ashleigh, May 24, 2010
  5. nella

nella

The PCI is connected to Com Port 5 however in TK when Scan COM Ports is selected COM3 and COM4 are the only ports that appear.
    If I try to manually select the Interface, I still only have an option of "Serial (PCI) Com3 (Modem)-Thinkpad Modem Adapter" or Com4 (Serial)-Intel Active Mangement Technology-SOL.
    TK is showing the PCI found on Com3 and PCI not found on Com4.
    Still fails to identify the Project Name.

nella, May 24, 2010
  6. nella

ashleigh Moderator

Well, if the PCI is connected to COM5 AND THE DEVICE MANAGER CONFIRMS THAT then there is some other weirdness going on.

Next step. Ze reboot. Shut ze computer down and turn off ze power.

Next, power up again, and vait and zee vat happens.

Try again. If all vorks, ziz iz good.

If not vorkz, zen iz time to go into ze devize manager and delete ze devizes.

To do ziz:

1. Dizconnect ze USB PCI.

2. Use your PC to set environment variables (in XP): Right click "My computer". Pick Advanced. Click "Environment Variables".

In ze zection "system variables" click NEW and then for the variable name enter:

DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES

and for the value enter:

Click OK. The OK the environment variables form. Then open ze devize manager (as beforez) and zen:

click View->Show Hidden Devices

then open up the node "Ports (COM & LPT)

Then FOR EVERY DEVICE YOU SEE THERE

click and press DELETE key

when prompted if you want to delete the device, say YES

When ALL the devices are deleted, close device manager and reboot.

All the connected devices will be re-created.

Connect the USB PCI. You should see messages saying the device is found, installing devices, etc etc. THE COM PORT NUMBER WILL MOST LIKELY BE DIFFERENT NOW!

Now, find the COm port number (in device manager again) and make sure TK can connect to that instead of scanning.

Good Luck. And pardon ze breaking into ze "Dr Strangelove" above. Iz ze effect off ze glass or 2 of ze red vine and ze late hour of ze efenink.

ashleigh, May 24, 2010
  7. nella

nella

Good and bad news.
    TK is now talking to my Win7 desktop but not my Win7 X200T tablet.
    On the tablet, I had the PAC connected to Com5 in device manager but Com5 was not showing as an option to scan in TK, only Com3 & 4.
    Deleted the PAC in Device Manager, rebooted and the PAC again installed to Com5 but with a driver error due to being unable to verify the digital signature, unfortunatly no option was given to "install anyway".
    The update driver utility is showing the driver as being up to date.
    The HP desktop was upgraded from Vista Ultimate while the Tablet is a clean Win7 install.
    I have reinstalled Toolkit 3 times already to try and fix it with no success.
    I'm thinking it is a Lenovo thing because it won't option Com5?????

nella, May 29, 2010
  8. nella

nella

After much installing, rebooting, uninstalling it would appear that my Lenovo X200T just does not like the PAC or PCI driver.
    As advised previously I got TK working on my HP Desktop also running Win7 and all is good.
    The Tablet however.........updated everything I could think of, unistalled, reinstalled everything I could think of, always checking the Force Driver install option on TK. Everything went smoothly on installs including the Install anyway option on the driver but still no good.
    Still gives me an error message in Device Manager and TK will not option the Com port that device manager says the PCI is installed on.
    Has anybody else got TK working on a Lenovo X200T?

nella, May 29, 2010
  9. nella

ashleigh Moderator

64 bit edition?

Check (search) here about disabling the check for signed drivers.

ashleigh, May 30, 2010
  10. nella

wappinghigh

I'd replace my OLD PAC in a heartbeat...

...I'd love to see CIS upgrade the current PAC unit to one with an inbuilt network based CNI (rather than USB) just to avoid these sort of issues. I'm plagued with this sort of stuff all the time...

Wouldn't these be some advantages:

1/ Access from anywhere within your home (via network)..rather than being squashed in a cupboard
    2/ Installers could add and fix programming off site
    3/ Avoidance of these dredded comm port identification issues
    4/ Would work no matter what Windows version or toolkit version you were running...
    5/...first step to Mac OSX based cbus acccess (whishfull thinking I know !!!!)

..Just a thought (not a criticism):)

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2010
    wappinghigh, May 30, 2010
Ask a Question