Will a Bus Coupler fit in a 1 gang / 2 Gang wall box (USA)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by industeq, Feb 21, 2009.

1. industeq

industeq

Since using your imagination the Bus Couple can be used on a infinite amount of dry on/off contacts but I was just concerned with mounting on this thread.

Is there enough room to use a basic 15 amp typical light switch and enough room for the bus coupler?
    If mounting in a wall-box, what are some mounting options besides 2 way tape / Velcro / wire ties?
    Is there any mounting holes or clips to mount?
    I have one on order and do not have in hand but just want to get a feel on how others abroad mount stateside and across the pond.
    Being stuffed in a box you obviously lose the LED visibility but probably only need for troubleshooting anyway.

Thanks
    Alan Dobbs

industeq, Feb 21, 2009
  2. industeq

Darpa

Darpa, Feb 21, 2009
  3. industeq

ashleigh Moderator

Hi Alan
    The bus coupler is a strange shape because it was designed to go into lots of different wall boxes. My understanding is that it will go into the NEMA (I think its NEMA??) wall boxes used in USA - mainly because these are almost identical to the "A" format wall boxes used in Australia.

As for mounting / keeping it in there. Seeing as everything in a wall box will be low voltage (ie < 36 V) it does matter a lot so long as it does not fall out. Anything that works.

What's important is to not mix line (mains) voltages and cbus in the same wall box. That would break all sorts of wiring segregation rules and be A Bad Thing :)

As for the LEDs - yes - you lose that, but there is a model with LED outputs on and you can wire those to external LED's if you want to use them.

Hope all this is some help. Some local guys using Bus Couplers would be able to give better responses about how they mount them.

ashleigh, Feb 22, 2009
  4. industeq

industeq

True, for the National Electric Code (NEC) you must install a class 2 barrier to isolate the different voltages within the boxes. Several non-metallic / plastic boxes have provisions for partitions (divider plate) that slide in to isolate.
    These days with all the advanced home entertainment there is a wide assortment of low voltage wall boxes available from a host of manufactures.
    The ones I like mostly are made by Carlon
    http://www.carlon.com/Master Catalog/Structured_Cable_Management_Systems_Brochure.pdf

industeq, Feb 22, 2009
Ask a Question