Wierd GA Cache-ing problem - Toolkit & PICED

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by JohnC, Mar 9, 2006.

1. JohnC

JohnC

I am working on a particular project, and have both Toolkit and PICED open. There are some things that PICED can't do, so I'm re-assigning lables and GAs to outputs in Toolkit as I work on the screens and scenes in PICED. I'd consider this a fairly common thing to do...

I've found that GA's Added or Edited in either Program will not appear/change in the GAs lists in the other program. I even tried saving from both programs so that the data got written to *.xml but that doesn't help.

It's a funny situation because both programs are theoretically "editing" exactly the same *.xml project file, so you can see how after a few changes in each prog the data shown in each on-screen can vary considerably, and also be different from what is really saved in the file ! Confusion reigns supreme ! :rolleyes:

It seems that the GA details are cached, once only when the project initially loads. Then when changes are made they are "edited in the cache" rather than a proper re-read of the real data - even after a save. I could not find a way to force a refresh (although each refreshes their *own* lists automatically after each amendment, but will only show changes made in that application). The only solution is to close project and re-open again, which is annoying.

In Toolkit this is particularly silly - when you change between Projects it definitely takes time to re-read and generate the GA's lists under Application > Groups. But it doesn't really re-read them at all !

Don't know if this is a major issue, but is there a way to make the lists refresh properly? Doing it continuously would be a waste of CPU time. I am thinking that perhaps the data could easily be refreshed after a File > Save, by writing out then re-reading the *.XML data file.

Any Comments ?

Thanks, John

JohnC, Mar 9, 2006
  2. JohnC

Duncan

You need to run one or the other (PICED/Toolkit) for the time being, not both.

Duncan, Mar 9, 2006
  3. JohnC

Josh

I have the same issue, but what I normally do is Edit the GA in Toolkit and restart PICED to reflect the changes .....

Josh, Mar 9, 2006
  4. JohnC

Darren Senior Member

The PICED help file under Important Information / Notes recommends that you create tags with ToolKit first, then run PICED.

There are plans to resolve this limitation, but it will take time.

Darren, Mar 9, 2006
  5. JohnC

JohnC

Ok, I would never have found that one in the Help File if you hadn't mentioned it, Darren.

Anyway, I guess it's not really a huge problem, just a bit annoying.

Cheers, John

JohnC, Mar 10, 2006
Ask a Question