Wi-Fi Remote control of C-bus

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by Extrex, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Extrex

Extrex

Hi
    We have an existing C-bus installation in an auditorium and the client would like to use remote controls to trigger scenes. Due to the size of the place its not feasible to use the existing C-bus IR remote controls due to the limitations of IR (LOS, limited range etc) and its def not an option to use IR rxers all over the place. Also I would prefer not to integrate it with C-bus wireless.

What I was thinking of using is a Wi-fi remote control with a Wi-Fi to IR converter. The IR side of the converter will point to a C-Bus IR receiver.

Though universal remote controls are an option, its just way to many features for what we require.
    Ideally what we are looking for is something simple with just a few buttons.

Anybody has any ideas?

Extrex, Feb 26, 2009
  2. Extrex

Darpa

I think you'll find that almost all remotes that utilise 802.11 Wifi are not really going to fit into the "simple, with just a few buttons" category.

There are several other types of remotes out there that use some form of RF, and some even have ranges of up to 100m.

My point is that unless you're will to go for something like a touchscreen remote that operates over Wifi, I'd be looking at some other transmission medium.

Darpa, Feb 26, 2009
  3. Extrex

dannyd

This would require a LAN and PC running Homegate, but how about a WiFi enabled PDA running Windows mobile 5?
    Instead of using it with a wifi to IR convertor you would just connect to a PC running homegate (using terminal services on the LAN) then you can set up as many buttons as you like?

dannyd, Feb 26, 2009
  4. Extrex

znelbok

If you only want to trigger scenes you could use a garage remote keyfob, its matching partner and an Aux input module

I use an ATA 2ch receiver with a four channel keyfob (with an aux module). If you need four triggers, use two receivers, that's four channels from one remote.

Range is pretty good. My gate is 150m from the garage door and if I hold my hand out the window it will operate the door.

Mick

znelbok, Feb 27, 2009
Ask a Question