Why the neo LED flashing

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by STEVE SO, Apr 16, 2007.

1. STEVE SO

STEVE SO

My C-Bus network have the 68 units. I use the CNI to config the network. Also, i had click the 1 Network Burden and 1 C-Bus clock in CNI. However, in some time, my about 40 switches are flashing when i press the button on.

What is the problem for a above case?

Another question are:
    1.How many "clock" setting are present in the 1 C-Bus network(Around 70 units)?

Besh wishes ALL

STEVE SO

STEVE SO, Apr 16, 2007
  2. STEVE SO

ramon

neo switches will flash if the 'timer' function is on.... you only need 1 clock source.

ramon, Apr 16, 2007
  3. STEVE SO

ashleigh Moderator

If ALL of the Neo's flash, for about 1 minute, then it means you have communication problems on the bus.

You need to check the obvious things first - number of burdens (check, check, check again), clock generators. Also check your wiring, and make sure you have enough power supplies.

ashleigh, Apr 17, 2007
  4. STEVE SO

JohnC

We had a problem like that on our Office network. Eventually we traced it to a certain wall switch (an early 1990's model 5031NL) in one of the cellular offices.

Occasionally all the LEDs on most switches would blink, and there was no control on that entire section of the network. We couldn't work out WHAT was causing it, and the networrk has been alive for over 10 years (one of the first C-Bus installs in Sydney), theoretically it used to be working and nothing had been added of changed in the config for years.

Anyway, when we pulled that dead switch off, the network sprang back to life. There have been no further problems since we replaced it with a brand new switch. I have no idea why 1 switch could make the network "flaky" enough so that it only worked intermittently... ??

JohnC, Apr 17, 2007
  5. STEVE SO

STEVE SO

Thank you for all suggestion

Today, i sure that i had click 1 Burden and 1 C-Bus clock in my C-Bus network. However, it remains unchahged. When i press some switch button, some key are flashing. My network use the Star topology to connect whole C-Bus network. It means that 9 small c-Bus network cable to be 1 network cable and then plug-in the CNI. I try to diagnose the network. I discover that when i plug-in 7 or below c-Bus network cable. The whole network had no problems. When i plug-in 8 or 9 c-Bus network cable. Then some switches had the flashing observation when i press the button.

Now i don't know why have the this problem??

Also. i want know that what disadvantage for the Star Connection in the C-Bus network??

Besh wishes all~~

STEVE SO, Apr 17, 2007
  6. STEVE SO

PSC

As Ashleigh said - check your power supplies...

PSC, Apr 17, 2007
  7. STEVE SO

STEVE SO

Basically, our C-Bus network had the enough Powe Supply Unit. It arounds the 80% Relay and Dimmer are Power Supply Included.

STEVE SO, Apr 18, 2007
  8. STEVE SO

PSC

Steve So,

Use a multimeter to measure the voltage on the Cat 5 at the flashing switch.

PSC, Apr 18, 2007
  9. STEVE SO

pbelectrical

Short Circuit?

It looks like you have completed the first step and isolated the section of the network that is at fault, section 8 or 9 or both. Im pretty sure that the actions you describe can be the sympton of a short in the network cabling. Are any of the units in this section installed outdooors or in wet area locations. To track down a short I find it easiest to split the problem run in half and see if the problem persists, if it does then come back a few units and try again, by process of elimination you should be able to track down the problem. All this assumes that the cabling between the units is intact, has any construction work etc been done recently?

In regards to the burden have you tried to connect a physical burden to your network, this takes the uncertainty about the status of your burden out of the equation. Also I think when you enable a software burden that you have to do it twice in a certain time period for the change to be saved.

Regards,

Peter Brown

pbelectrical, Apr 19, 2007
  10. STEVE SO

PSC

A short will bring the whole network down, the led's will NOT flash.

Can you measure the voltage with a multimeter at the switch that is flashing.

P.S. Forum admin why do you keep moderating my posts? Some of my posts do not even reach the forum???

Can you please respond.

PSC, Apr 19, 2007
  11. STEVE SO

STEVE SO

Thank you all~~

I use the DMM to measure the voltage at the flashing switchs are between 32.8 and 33.1 V~~ But i hadn't measure current yet. I will measure it today. Also. some switches are flashing on 1-2 key led.

Besh wishes all
    STEVE SO

STEVE SO, Apr 20, 2007
  12. STEVE SO

samala

I hv got the same problem of LED flashing at my factory.(Neo).

Hv tried out checking burden,adding physical burden and keeping only one clock.

Can any one get me a solution for this.

samala, Sep 15, 2008
  13. STEVE SO

Newman

Neo units will flash their indicators rapidly if they detect a communication problem, so it's worth checking all the the basics of network communication.

Please check that it is not the timer flash you're seeing, where the unit blinks it's indicator slowly to indicate that a timer is running.

It's always worth hooking up the C-Bus Diagnostic Utility to the network whenever communication errors are experienced to try to get a better understanding of what's going on. Take a look at the Traffic Analyser and see if there are communication errors appearing on your network.

Newman, Sep 15, 2008
Ask a Question