Why Cbus2 consuming so much base load?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Greatflyers, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Greatflyers

Greatflyers

Hi all,

Moved into house in Perth and it has Cbus2, 2 panels and lots of downlights, windows 2000 I think. It's about 12 Yr old system.

When everything is turned off, it consumes a minimum of 380 Watts, my solar system software confirms it. Fridge spikes on and off at night adds about 120w or so. 380w seems very high for like when nothing is happening abd is very frustrating as Elec so expensive now... . Any ideas if this normal? Thinking just switch whole house power off at night as this is just such a waste... Maybe something shorting?

Also, anyone know how to connect to this Cbus2 and look at the settings etc? I see ethernet slot in the board, guess is for that? What software?

Then the touchscreen failed already once but after 4 weeks was repaired at great $$$, what a hassle!

Outside the Cbus2 motion sensors are 36v? Nice of clipsal as new replacement units like aud 120 whereas any 240v replacement with lights is like only $35.

This Cbus2 is nothing more than a big liability unless it can stop guzzling power and I can find a way to programme it etc..

No remote access to it either.... Hmmm thumbs down to Cbus2 at this point...

Greatflyers, Oct 26, 2019
  2. Greatflyers

Conformist

Very interesting post. I trust your power consumption is 'true power'? Please see https://www.sunpower-uk.com/glossary/what-is-true-power/#targetText=In an AC circuit, true,resistance to do useful work.

My system consists of about 75 C-Bus units and its true power is about 46W. The only way to determine is to actually measure the power supplies. Remember there is quiescent power in devices such as smoke alarms, air conditioners, TVs. I did a full audit on my house about 5 years ago and was blown away by some seemingly benign devices that draw power on the off-state. e.g. 24v ac transformers for irrigation and air conditioning dampers use 4W each (I have 3 of them).

Please don't compare shitty $35 sensors with lights from Bunnings with C-Bus sensors. Completely different capabilities and technology. Like comparing a basic Oppo phone with a top of the line Samsung or Apple. Massively different capabilities and functions.

You can download the software (C-Bus Toolkit) from the Clipsal web site if you want BTW

I strongly suggest doing a bit more research. C-Bus is by far the best system on the market and has been for over 25 years.

There are remote access options if you need

Keen to hear how things go with a deep dive investigation. Hope this helps :)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    Conformist, Oct 26, 2019
    MarkB and Matthew like this.
  3. Greatflyers

Greatflyers

Thanks for your reply. 48w, wow, ol so something clearly wrong with my system as then as 10x that..... I will check more....!

Greatflyers, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Greatflyers

chromus

Greatflyers -> Im in Perth and happy to consult if you want.

Send me a PM

chromus, Nov 1, 2019
  5. Greatflyers

znelbok

Wow, this is the big problem I see for C-Bus. People (and electricians) make these sort of claims based on no knowledge and incorrect findings and blame C-Bus and claim how crap it is. Bad news is reported so much more than success.

From the people here in the forums, the first thing we think when reading this type of post is how uneducated (wrp to C-Bus) this person is based on the claims that were made.

znelbok, Nov 10, 2019
  6. Greatflyers

Damaxx

One installation I did years ago where the client requested current sensors on the mains and C-Bus sub board to see his power usage. Same thing happened - I received a call from the client stating that C-Bus was using hundreds of watts when everything was turned off and demanded an explanation. Didn't take long to add up to the figure he stated when we measured smoke detectors, media equipment, irrigation controllers, 2 Matrix units (~50W alone) that were all supplied from that board. The actual C-Bus power supplies were drawing less than 40 watts.

I agree with you Mick - It blows me away the perception that some of the sparkies down my way have regarding C-Bus, but when you actually get into it with them, a lot of the time they simply just don't understand it. Only a couple of weeks ago I had a sparky tell me C-Bus was rubbish due to switches only being good for 1,000 presses. After chatting to him for a bit I worked out he was referring to the issues of constantly writing values to the old DLTs. He had no clue what he was talking about, he was just reciting a Chinese whisper he had heard.

Damaxx, Nov 11, 2019
    Mr Mark likes this.
  7. Greatflyers

chromus

Damaxx -> it was the same 1st time I did a CBUS training session, of the 8 trainees, 2 were home owners, 1 was me an integrator and the last 5 were sparkies.

The sparkies were only there cos their bosses made them go. I finished the course in no time (I was only there to get the certificate) and 1 of the home owners who was already pretty well researched was good at it too. The other home owner I think was getting the hang of it but kept to himself. The sparkies just kept making sweeping statements about things and how what was being asked was "not possible" despite the tasks like basic ramping over 12 seconds for 2 lights and instant on 2 more.

chromus, Nov 30, 2019
    Damaxx likes this.
Ask a Question