Which sensor to use for the Digital Temperature Sensor 5104DTSI

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by JasonY00, Oct 22, 2019.

1. JasonY00

JasonY00

Hi everyone,

this may seem like a trivial post, but I would like to install the Digital Temp Sensor 5104DTSI to measure the return air, fan coil head end air and a couple of downstream duct temperatures of my Air Con unit.

I would like to just drill into the aluminum ducts and place the sensors in the air streams. Can anyone recommend which one of the three available sensors would perform best or in this case would it not matter?

I envision that the sensor would just hang down inside the ducting a few centimeters to perform the measurement and report back to a touch screen and via homebridge to my iphone.

Shall I just close my eyes and pick one?

Kind regards and thanks in advance for any advice.

Jason

JasonY00, Oct 22, 2019
  2. JasonY00

Conformist

Hey Jason

Either of the round sensors will do fine. I've done this myself (probably 6 years go) and it works perfectly. I have one in the return air, one in the roof-space, one in the outgoing air and one hanging out under the eave on the southern side (out of direct sun and far away from the roof iron to stop radiant heat).
    Hope this helps

Conformist, Oct 23, 2019
  3. JasonY00

JasonY00

Dear Mr Conformist,

thanks very much for your reply. I know the sensors aren't that expensive, but its disappointing to get something and find that its not really fit for purpose. I'm very grateful for you taking the time to write a reply and it's nice to know that someone has already proved the concept successfully. I have written a temperature sensor type for the homebridge-cbus plugin on the temperature application which I am testing. It will mean I can see these temps on the home app on my iphone with my other wall mounted temperature sensors and other C-Bus devices/sensors. I will port it to the measurement application eventually so it can be more universally applied. If it's reliable, I will request for Anthony to add it to the homebridge-cbus npm.

Many thanks

Jason

JasonY00, Oct 23, 2019
    Timbo and Conformist like this.
  4. JasonY00

chromus

I stopped using the Clipsal sensors and use the DS18b20s from ebay for $3 a pop with 2m tails, stainless steel housings and waterproof, just connect the black and red to -ve port and yellow to +ve port on the 5104DTSI.

chromus, Oct 25, 2019
  5. JasonY00

JasonY00

Thanks Chromus,

That will save me a few bucks!

Cheers

Jason

JasonY00, Oct 25, 2019
Ask a Question