Where to Purchase cheap C bus Products?

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by matthewe2108, Apr 13, 2015.

1. matthewe2108

matthewe2108

Hi Guys,

I am looking at purchasing various Dimmable and Non Dimmable Relays, plus all my Light switches and other various items. Where in QLD would be the best place to purchase these products? I have asked my Local Electrical supplier and they told me they cant offer any saving from what is in the Catalogue as they do not purchase these items regularly.

regards Matt

matthewe2108, Apr 13, 2015
  2. matthewe2108

impact

Matt

I will tell you my story - it may help... it may not

I wanted cubs, and went off to an installer - did the plans, and the costs... I still wanted cubs, but at over $25k for the parts and a little programming.... wow...

So I looked around - and occasionally I found cheap stuff go on ebay, so I started bidding. A relay there, some switches, PIR's etc...

My major renovations started and took just over a year to complete... By knowing your prices, and using a snipe tool for ebay (google sniping - I use gixen !) and given enough time... I got all my gear for around $7k - well below half rrp.

It took months - but I wasn't in a hurry.

The mistake I made of course was I am making savings - so I can afford a few more extra dlt's and another touch screen and a few more pir's than what I originally planned for.

Got my Sparky to wire it all up, and because I work within IT - I did the programming myself... Relatively easy once you understand the concept.

So watch ebay - know your prices, bid what your prepared to pay, and save.... But it is the luck of the draw - from experience, it appears left over parts from a one off job, where they just want to get rid of the item is when they go cheap...

It worked for me - may work for you - if you have patience!

impact, Apr 13, 2015
  3. matthewe2108

jboer

Agree with Impact, E-Bay is the best place if you don't want to pay trade. If I want stuff for home that is where I usually look. It can be hard if you want to go with a not particularly popular style though.

The pricing structure is pretty solid with Schneider and so unless you find someone selling it close to cost you wont be able to buy it from a wholesaler or integrator much less than trade.

jboer, Apr 13, 2015
  4. matthewe2108

matthewe2108

Thx guys for the advice,

I already have a 4 channel dimmer relay from when I done the C bus training course, I might just watch ebay and look for some bargins.

cheers Matt

matthewe2108, Apr 14, 2015
  5. matthewe2108

znelbok

I'll second the watch e-bay.

Unfortunately, I think C-Bus is overpriced in today's market and it would be better if they were significantly cheaper.

I have a friend who is building right now and I tried to sell them on C-bus. While they loved the concept and the look they could not get around the price difference.

So now we have a brand new house with 19th century wiring concepts - pretty much the typical for new Aussie homes.

half the price and get triple the install base.

Mick

znelbok, Apr 14, 2015
  6. matthewe2108

impact

Mick

I would totally agree...

As a contractor I have worked in many offices, and majority of them do have c-bus installed... I chuckle to myself as I walk past a b&w touch screen, or lights turning on in the photocopy room when you walk in... Its just like being at home...

So as a fit out in an office, maybe its substantiated. But totally agree in todays climate c-bus is out of reach for the consumer home market. No matter how good it is, just read the automation threads around the net... Far more inexpensive, maybe inferior products but widely accepted.

Times have changed, the technology has improved, items are coming to the market a lot quicker... As much as I love my c-bus its now a dinosaur...

The final straw I think is the wiser Mk 2- a price of around $1300 when you buy routers for under $50.... It should be a $300 item for the home market. A wiser ain't going to get acceptance in the office world - its really for the pops and moms to use their iPhone to control their home devices... Nobody wants an iPhone interface for the corporate world.

Yep I understand R & D costs, and factoring in the effort of development and marketing, but at the high price = lower sales... Lower price = higher sales... Imagine the modelling if a 4 channel relay was only $100 - the acceptance and use of the product would be magnified... and this is where the competitors will just overtake the home market and leave c-bus as a professional tool for the corporate world...

That's my opinion. I know some of you would disagree. But in the 6 years of having c-bus in my home, I have not seen the R&D grow as per other products... And as much as I have shown it off to hundreds of people, who all like it - they are all turned off by the high cost!

My rant off....

impact, Apr 15, 2015
  7. matthewe2108

Ashley W

Out of interest was your electrical supplier offering you retail or trade prices?

Ashley W, Apr 18, 2015
Ask a Question