Where have people placed their shutter relay

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Mick01, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Mick01

Mick01

I am new to cbus and I am using my home that I am in building to gain experience in cbus. I have completed the cbus course and just looking at where installers located their shutter relay. I have a total of 14 to wire and was thinking of placing them in the DB , the problem with this is

1. uses alot of space
    2 cable runs back to the board

Was also thinking of hiding them in areas that they control i.e wardrobes using the wall mount enclosure. The roof space would be ideal but I think it would be get above 45c in summer so that rules that out.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2010
    Mick01, Feb 2, 2010
  2. Mick01

LCE

I tend to put mine in the DB for neatness sake but I know clipsal have a enclosure specificly for the shutter relays to mount them remotely. I'll have a hunt around for the product code.

Edit: I see you know about the enclosure already. Considering the cost of the cable ( run a T&E and a Red/White Twin) which is minimal I like having all my equipment, where possible in one easy to access spot. ie. the DB.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2010
    LCE, Feb 2, 2010
  3. Mick01

Conformist

Hi Mick

Just a note... We re-tested the shutter relay at have re-rated the temperature 0-55 degrees C (see shot from revised instructions below)

Hope this helps :)

Cheers

Attached Files:

Conformist, Feb 2, 2010
  4. Mick01

abg

I have 30 shutter relays, and like LCE I prefer to have all c-bus gear located together. If you scatter them around you'll be running power in to the relays and out to the blinds/curtains anyway as well as c-bus cabling. If they're all located in one spot it's much easier (IMHO) to wire and manage.

abg, Feb 2, 2010
  5. Mick01

znelbok

I have been considering this for a while, as I was looking at a different unit initially.

What I have is a pelmet above the window and the curtain hangs from that - nothing strange about that. The pelmet is a good 100mm above the top of the window allow room for a wall plate to be installed to get the power through the wall to the motor - a plug arrangement of some sort. I isntalled the metal brackets behind the wall in readiness for the wall plate to be installed in the future

What would be easy, is if the shutter relay was mounted on the back side of the wall plate, wired directly to the socket on the front.

This would mean that you only run a single 2c-e, daisy chaining each window. Even if the window does not have a motorized curtain, the power is easy to tap into. Similarly you run the C-Bus cable to each window.

This cuts down on the space taken up in the board, reduces the need for extra cables in the roof (a whole bunch of 3c+e) and simplifies trouble shooting.

I don't have any real experience with curtains, I have done shutters back to a central location and this is the thing really, but curtains differ in that they probably need a plug socket arrangement and it needs to be discretely placed so it is not visible.

You can probably mount a small bit of din rail to the back of a blank wall plate and then mount a custom socket to it (does anyone know of a low profile plug socket suitable for curtains) and do it the way I mentioned.

As I said, I don't have any real experience in this area, but this is one way of doing it that I was looking into.

Mick

znelbok, Feb 3, 2010
Ask a Question