Where are the scenes Saved C-Touch

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by mikegriff, Oct 27, 2004.

1. mikegriff

mikegriff

I'm trying to understand multiple C-Touch Units on one Network
    First Question
    If I'm running the PC C-TOUCH software and make a change to the scenes then the system seems to work even though I haven't downloaded to the C-Touch Unit. At this point the scene data must be being saved somewhere else, WHERE?

Question 2
    In the FAQ it states only one unit should run Scenes
    how do I stop other units rnning scenes if they all have the same copy of software downloaded?
    I can turn off the schedule but I can't see where to turn off the scenes.

Sorry If I just haven't grasped the system
    Thanks in advanced
    Mike

mikegriff, Oct 27, 2004
  2. mikegriff

Darren Senior Member

The scenes are stored in the C-Touch Configuration software as you edit them. If you have the C-Touch Configuration software connected to C-Bus, then you can execute the scenes from there. The C-Touch Configuration software will respond to scene triggers in the same way as C-Touch.

Congratulations on reading the FAQ - it is good to see someone has read it ;)

You can't turn off scenes as such. You need to download the project including scenes to one C-Touch. Then create a variant of the project which has the scenes removed and download this to all other C-Touch units.

Darren, Oct 28, 2004
  3. mikegriff

mikegriff

Thanks for the swift reply Darren

Quote:
    The scenes are stored in the C-Touch Configuration software as you edit them. If you have the C-Touch Configuration software connected to C-Bus, then you can execute the scenes from there. The C-Touch Configuration software will respond to scene triggers in the same way as C-Touch

This is the bit that is confusing me
    as you edit scene information and the PC is connected to C-Bus there must be conflicting information between the unit and the software
    How does the system know which one is right
    And also with Version 2 Installation software,how and when does the Project manager up date or does it always ignore the PC software?

Mike
    Hope that doesnt read like gobledegoo :)

mikegriff, Oct 28, 2004
  4. mikegriff

Darren Senior Member

By "system" I assume you mean the C-Bus system. In this case the "system" doesn't know anything about the scenes. If you send a scene from C-Touch, it will send the scene it has stored in it. If you send a scene from the C-Touch Configuration Software, it will send its version of the scene. If you send a scene trigger onto C-Bus, both could send scenes out, which could be different.

I don't understand this question. It does read like gobledegoo ;)

What "up date" are you referring to ? What is the "PC Software" you are referring to ?

Darren, Oct 28, 2004
  5. mikegriff

Richo

Be sure that you do not run C-Touch configuration software at the same time as the V2 Installation Software. They may over write each others Tag information.

Richo, Oct 28, 2004
  6. mikegriff

mikegriff

I knew it was Gobbledegoo!!!
    I think Richo is close to my question though

It is the tag info I was interested in

If I set a trigger level in a scene then the C-BUS System knows about that level somehow gets stored in the "system"
    If I then download the information to the c-touch unit then it appears to be on the system.
    ( By opening Project manager (ver 2 installation software)I can see it)

I think I am hitting two problems here in my understanding

1) C-BUS by design doesnt have a central piece of hardware all the info is stored in the switches / dimmers / C-TOUCH Hardware.
    So when I run the C-Touch Configuration Software , where is it stored?
    And why doesnt it conflict with The C-Touch hardware unit.

2) As I'm setting up my system, about 100 circuits, for ease I'm using the C-Touch configuration software to run the system, (It is the quickest way to get a light on)-- Perhaps I should be using HomeGate instead ?

I plan to program the switches later when I work out what I want them all to do,
    (Normal operation of the lights is controlled by Comfort/Homevision, Prior to C-BUS I had X-10 in the house with NO light switches)

I hope this is clearer
    And I won't run both in future Richo!!
    Thanks
    Mike

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2004
    mikegriff, Oct 28, 2004
  7. mikegriff

Darren Senior Member

A C-Bus tag is a text description of a network / application / group address / level to avoid having to use numbers. C-Bus tags are stored in the tag database on the PC. They are not downloaded to the C-Bus units.

Where is what stored ? If you are talking about the C-Touch configuration data, then a copy of it resides on the PC, and once you have downloaded it, a copy resides in the C-Touch unit. There may be a conflict until the data has been downloaded.

HomeGate is much better for controlling your home from a PC.

Darren, Oct 29, 2004
  8. mikegriff

mikegriff

Thanks Darren
    I you've put me on the right track. Your comment above confirms some of the things i was seeing

Over to homegate i think
    Thanks for your patience
    Mike

mikegriff, Oct 29, 2004
Ask a Question