WHC-5918A vs old WHC-5918

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wiser 1 Controller' started by joehann, Jul 15, 2013.

1. joehann

joehann

Dear All

basicly i need help for distinguish between this two item,
    currently i got this new item from schneider electric a new version
    from wiser home control
    not like the old one with the black finish, the new one is in white finish

i'm wonder did anyone already have experienced with this new item?
    what's the plusses and minusses compare to the old one?
    how about the template ?

Need advise guys :):):)

joehann, Jul 15, 2013
  2. joehann

kjayakumar

Wiser black is no longer in production and all countries/regions are out of stock of Wiser black. Wiser white is available or should be coming into stock in most countries.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2013
    kjayakumar, Jul 15, 2013
  3. joehann

BradJ

Well that explains why today I was told by a supplier the the "wiser has been withdrawn from sale" which I was concerned it meant it was a dead product.

So other than being a different colour, what else may be different about the new wiser?

BradJ, Jul 15, 2013
  4. joehann

Charlie Crackle

If you only require reliable IOS device access and no logic and very quick install and program have a look at the Translink device if you are waiting on wisers.

Charlie Crackle, Jul 16, 2013
  5. joehann

Conformist

No, it (Wiser) is not a dead product... far from it!. This is not a 'new Wiser' as such. It has all of the same functionality as the Wiser product that has been on the market for years. It was developed to handle large projects where 200-300 Wiser units at a time were needed. It was decided that it would be made more widely available to reduce the stock shortages being experienced by Wiser. This product will work exactly the same as the existing Wiser with iOS, Android and Flash UI's. All of the UI's also support things like MRA support, HVAC and of course, power monitoring.

Stock availability of this version will be announced in the next week or two.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

Cheers

Conformist, Jul 16, 2013
  6. joehann

BradJ

Almost clear.

So it's just a more powerful (faster) version of wiser?
    The old and the new will have the same basic feature set?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2013
    BradJ, Jul 16, 2013
  7. joehann

Conformist

If white is faster, then yes... otherwise, no

Yes, exactly the same feature set

Cheers

Conformist, Jul 17, 2013
  8. joehann

Roosta

Hey Mr Conformist..

In Australia will it be under the same or a new part number? If new could you please advise what it is?

Cheers...

Roosta, Jul 17, 2013
  9. joehann

Conformist

Will advise as soon as it becomes available.

Conformist, Jul 17, 2013
  10. joehann

Thomas

Not clear to me

Dear Conformist,

Firstly, thank you for the info.
    I am battling with the Wiser replacement, in so far as that I do not figure why a unit gets replaced with an exact same (other) unit.
    Considering the inconvenience caused by this replacement through the prolonged stock shortages, surely there must be a more profound reason for this, other than colour.

If the new unit allows for the use of 200-300 of them on one project, then there must be some major changes to it's config, that based on the assumption that it would read "per network", not "per project".

For me it is more worrisome when one cannot get a sensible answer to a reasonable question. :confused:

Thomas, Jul 22, 2013
  11. joehann

kjayakumar

I'm not sure what you specifically mean by "use of 200-300 of them on one project". What do you mean by "read per network"? fyi, the C-Bus software that is on Wiser black is the same as the one that is on Wiser white so Conformist is correct, there is no difference as far as C-Bus is concerned. If you're running into a specific problem, perhaps you could detail it here and we'll try to help you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2013
    kjayakumar, Jul 23, 2013
  12. joehann

Conformist

Yes, there is

Hopefully, I can explain what is going on. Firstly, multiple units per project have nothing to do with the capabilities of the product. It is simply demand for the product on a project where there are multiple apartments in a single building. This is quite common in many parts of Asia.

With any electronic product, there are always End Of Life (EOL) issues. This is on whole products and components too. With Wiser, we faced an EOL dilemma with the router component of the Wiser solution. We entered into a last time buy of the component from the supplier with an estimate of how many we need until the release of the next generation product. After buying a lot of the component (and I mean a lot), we were all of a sudden faced with significant large (un-forecasted) project orders for Asia. If we were to supply these projects with our remaining stock, then we would run out of stock well before the next generation product became available. So, we needed to look at a solution that was low risk. The supplier of the router component had a replacement, but it was not a direct replacement and it needed a bit of work to ensure it would at least do what Wiser had been doing. We decided to use this different form-factor for the big projects and provide a bulk solution. This has been working well.

However, we have hit some hurdles with the development of the next generation product. Whilst the development is quite mature, there is still a massive demand for Wiser in the market globally. So, we have decided that we will take this product that was intended to be only for projects and make it available to anyone until the next generation product comes online. This has been an expensive exercise as it means we need approvals for so many countries who all have their own requirements for products and power supplies.

We are getting close to having this solution available and as soon as approvals are complete, we will make this available so that there is a freely available Wiser solution in the market. Programming of this product is exactly the same as the existing Wiser and will appear in PICED in the same way.

I would love nothing more than to be able to tell you a launch date for the next generation product but I am not able to right now.

If our customers need a Wiser solution then this will hopefully help alleviate some of the pain being suffered.

Thomas, I totally appreciate and understand your (and everyone else's) frustration. As the situation changes (with the approvals for this interim product), and our next generation product, I will advise.

Conformist, Jul 23, 2013
  13. joehann

Thomas

Hi Conformist,

Thank you very much!
    Now this is an explanation I can go forward with :)

Hope that it all meshes up nicely, and soon.

Thomas, Jul 23, 2013
  14. joehann

Thomas

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. These items have been explained by Conformist, and I now know that it is all related to supply vs demand, with some Asian peculiarities.

As far as problems are concerned, I don't think there are any which have not been discussed and solved.
    On specific sites I am battling to get access from the WAN side, but am not sure if it is ISP or router (port forwarding) related, or if the Wiser is sulking at times, and doesn't want to talk. :)
    I'd like to think it is not the Wiser, as it should either work, or not, but in IT it is not always as clear cut as that.

Thomas, Jul 23, 2013
Ask a Question