What's Missing?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Conformist, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Conformist

Conformist

You all seem a smart bunch of guys and girls. From many walks of life. In a variety of countries and from a host of backgrounds. What products do you believe are missing from the C-Bus range? Is there any product (or products) that you believe could be introduced to make life easier? Please, not something that would only sell to some abstract customer in outback South Australia. Everyday products that would enable Installers, Systems Integrators, Electricians people who use C-Bus regularly to sell more systems or add more features to the systems installed. It would also be interesting to hear how long you have been using/buying/installing C-Bus and how many installations you may have done.

The floor is yours:)

Conformist, Mar 26, 2008
  2. Conformist

Charlie Crackle

Low voltage relay module

Clipsal need a "Cheap" 8 channel relay module that has 24v AC rated contacts

Powered by 24V AC (or bus powered) not 240V (no inbuilt cbus power supply)

Good for

-> For Irrigation zones
    -> Zone dampers for Thermastat
    -> other low voltage dry relay outputs (open gates and garage doors)

:) :)Now a real bonus would be the ability to put 24 group addresses on virtual outputs (ie there is no physical output) or having or 24 logic groups giving MMI. This gives some where to put those Group address that always play up after power failure that are only on input modules.:) :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2008
    Charlie Crackle, Mar 26, 2008
  3. Conformist

2SC

This is fun for us, a night mare for CIS. I would like to have:

1. A switch with large buttons where you could easily write on like these on the attachment file. Everybody ask for them even if they love the expensive DLT.
    2. A mobile solution for remote control. Maybe a RF remote touch screen or a wireless touch screen. I think Malaysian Clipsal had one. It is a ?must have? in large installations.
    3. A combination of thermostat and keypad
    4. A wireless floor receiver for table lamps etc. Plug adaptor is the ugliest clipsal product I can remember.

Attached Files:

• 1.pdf
      File size:
      67.9 KB
      Views:
    2SC, Mar 26, 2008
  4. Conformist

froop

Fan controller

Are you looking for big ticket items or gaps to fill?
    How about a ready to go fan controller. After reading dozens of threads on the forums its obvious this comes up a lot. I've used three channels on my 12ch relay and had to program some PAC logic so I can suitably control the fan speed.

froop, Mar 26, 2008
  5. Conformist

Mr Mark

At the moment, I think the biggest gap in offering a complete C-Bus solution is a wireless touch screen / tablet. I know there are other third party options (and we have used them as required) out there that can be quite successful -usually something along the line of a UMPC, but.... how far do you go in house? There is little point in offering something that does half a job (ie: one way comms, inability to load extra applications), but do you re-invent the wheel??

Just voicing some thoughts here,

Mark

Mr Mark, Mar 26, 2008
  6. Conformist

amberelectrics

A wireless relay solution that isnt a plug in. I have an install that was done by another integrator, its supposed to have blind control but only has twin and earth to each outlet, mains switched by a single channel on a relay at the DIN rail.

The only solution so far is to use a wireless two channel relay but it requires leakage current to run it. If it could accept a direct mains input as power source this would be a doddle. Not necessary to have the front buttons but the relay would be just dandy.

Could be an easy solution for wireless retrofit in normal projects too, and by that I mean one that hasn't been trashed by some other lack wit.

See my other post about time delays without PAC, re firmware changes to the dimmers/relays to make them a bit more flexible.

Cheers

Simon

amberelectrics, Mar 26, 2008
  7. Conformist

znelbok

single or two channel din rail mount relay to replace the existing units.
    Fan controller (as already mentioned)
    Waterproof switch (IP67) for outdoor situations - both wired and wireless
    Battery powered wireless switch.
    More group address options for switches for logic etc.
    I'll second Charlie's vote for virtual groups address on virtual outputs
    C-bus integrated door phone/intercom system (pressing button activates group address, video available of C-Touch, TV or other IP device, wired and or wireless maybe, door release from any switch via the built in relay in the outdoor unit.)
    Direct control of LED's on switches and coloured LED's
    RGB LED controller
    Wireless bridge (wireless connection to join two wired networks so underground cabling is not required).
    IR input with more groups. After-market remotes give way more than 8 buttons. I would be nice to be able to control more than 8 groups or scenes via remote.

Mick

znelbok, Mar 26, 2008
  8. Conformist

cbrpete

Fitting mcb`s to the pro dimmer outputs or even accessable fast blow fuses would cure a big headache.
    A D.L.T with IR would be handy too.RF would be better.

cbrpete, Mar 26, 2008
  9. Conformist

paulw11

A knob

Hi,

I would like to see input units that have knobs like a normal non-cbus dimmer. Turning the knob could be used to directly set the group level and you should also be able to click the knob as an on/off toggle.

I think that this would provide an easier to use, more intuitive approach to dimming than the current long press methods in situations where full scene capabilities aren't warranted.

Paul

paulw11, Mar 26, 2008
  10. Conformist

ICS-GS

Apart from all the other wonderful suggestions above...

1. A bus coupler style 2 ch volt free relay output.
    2. Maybe look at having dimmer modules with 'accessible' protection for each channel, this would also allow the technicians to easily isolate the hannels required, as we all know that 0% does not mean 0V.
    3. c-bus enabled smoke detectors
    4. And if you want to go over the top, you could have a combo, single channel dimmer / electronic LV transformer, so that we could wire 240V directly to the tranny, and a pink cable, assign it an address, and you're done.

Thanks

Grant

ICS-GS, Mar 27, 2008
  11. Conformist

ashleigh Moderator

Don't get your hopes too high about smoke detectors.

C-Bus is not a primary reporting bus for the protection of human life, so for example, using a smoke detector wired to a bus coupler as a SECONDARY function... fine... go do it, you can do it now.

But having a pink cable poking out a smoke detector worries the heck out of me, because somebody somewhere will use cbus as the primary reporting mechanism and that would be bad bad bad.

ashleigh, Mar 28, 2008
  12. Conformist

znelbok

I would also like to see IR on all versions of keypads (eg saturn)

Mick

znelbok, Mar 28, 2008
  13. Conformist

ashleigh Moderator

I think you can order a Saturn with IR...

not sure if it is a special or not, but toolkit support was added some time ago.

ashleigh, Mar 28, 2008
  14. Conformist

2SC

Saturn with IR are only the Stainless ones or not?

2SC, Mar 28, 2008
  15. Conformist

ashleigh Moderator

Glass also AFAIK.

Conformist will know, and probably give me a bollocking if I've got it wrong!

ashleigh, Mar 28, 2008
  16. Conformist

Conformist

Ah Ashleigh

You know I'm a gentle soul. Saturn IR is not quite out yet. The software team is just too efficient. Fascias (glass and metal) will dictate the release as we need the IR window (won't work through standard fascias... sorry)

Interesting point about IR on all inputs.

Some very good feedback throughout. Please, continue to put your ideas up even if they seem a little far fetched.

Your bollocks are safe (for now anyway!)

Conformist, Mar 28, 2008
  17. Conformist

Richo

I can see that getting printed, framed and hung up on the wall for all to see.

Richo, Mar 28, 2008
  18. Conformist

Conformist

C'mon Richo.... You know as well as I do, it?s too dark in that dungeon to see anything hung on the wall

Conformist, Mar 28, 2008
  19. Conformist

steve22537

What a predicament?..Just getting ready to order the Saturn switches now someone has gone and spoilt everything?.IR in the Saturn.

Do I wait another month or two or are Saturn?s with IR going to be a reality within that time.

I?d like to be able to get a glass fascia like the Saturn to to fit a kiosk style
    19" wide touch screen.

steve22537, Mar 28, 2008
  20. Conformist

znelbok

My house was finished four months ago and I have two light switches in the place waiting for (glass) Saturn with IR. I rely on a touch screen in the kitchen to turn on everything around the house apart from my bedroom and bathroom.

znelbok, Mar 28, 2008
Ask a Question