WHATS GOING ON WITH THIS INDUSTRY - KNX or CBUS???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dubman78, Jul 9, 2015.

1. dubman78

dubman78

Hi everyone!

I have expressed interest in becoming an accredited KNX installer. Its not cheap and i don't want to dive into it without knowing theres work out there.

I am led to believe KNX is gaining popularity, but in what sectors? Is it picking up in Residential or is it primarily used in Commercial. If not what systems are more popular in residential.

I understand CBUS Point one is a big player (clipsal in mind). how does it compare, and what is used more? Who are the other players? Ive researched and seen theres other systems out there, but are they worth considering. What are the thoughts of a client that wants automated control - surely they just want something that works.

I guess I'm after a few opinions On where this industry is heading. Is it worth getting into and what recommendations do you have for someone eventually wanting to go out on there own doing automation.

Steps to find the work?

Any tips, recommendations, advise would be greatly appreciated.

dubman78, Jul 9, 2015
  2. dubman78

znelbok

C-Bus is Clipsal only,

KNX is a standard used by many companies. From my understanding it is big in the EU, but not so here or the US.

Regardless of how big it is elsewhere there is no point having accreditation if it is not used here. If the C-Bus penetration into the market is anything to go by, KNX will take a very long time unless the IoT sector can bring it to the forefront.

Most clients I suspect don't care for the underlying tech, just as long as it works to their requirements.

Where I see the benefit from KNX is that you are not stuck with a single manufacturer and that creates competition and thus prices go down.

Can you imagine how cheap a relay module would be if there was a couple of companies making them for C-Bus.

I don't envy your position in trying to find an answer - good luck

Mick

znelbok, Jul 9, 2015
Ask a Question