What's a Wiser worth?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ariddell, Jul 27, 2009.

1. ariddell

ariddell

Hey,
    Bit O/T on this one I know but thought I would bounce it off you guys who are in the know...

We've been offered a couple of second hand Wisers from a company we occasionally work with who have no idea what they are/what to do with them.

So basically my question is - what is the worth of bare 2nd hand Wiser units? They are apparently from what I can gather completely without accessories, no power supplies, no busbars, no CNIs, just the main router modules on their own. They also don't know if they have locked out passwords etc, but i'm presuming this can be reset. I'm presuming the rest of the bits stayed behind wherever they were removed from, just the web bits that weren't needed and removed but not sure if this has turned them into paperweights.

Are they actually any use without the rest of the bits/will they work with a standard standalone CNI or do they need their own special inline one?

If they're going to be of use - how much do you think we should offer for them? I've no idea what they go for new since our usual c-bus kit supplier can't even get pricing for them.

Would only really be interested in them as something to have a play around with, rather than for any particular practical purpose so no idea what sort of $/if we should bother offering them anything for them or to say thanks but no thanks.

Feel free to drop me a PM/remove this post if talking $ for such devices on the forums is not the done thing as I appreciate these are generally only sold through Pointone providers. Oh, and before anyone asks, if we do buy them no we won't be reselling them - i wouldn't feel comfortable shifting something like these on especially without all the bits or knowing their history so purely keeping them for personal use and knowledge development.

Cheers

Al

ariddell, Jul 27, 2009
  2. ariddell

kjayakumar

I believe Wisers are only sold by PointOne professionals, so this company which has no idea what they are but seems to have them available for sale, seems peculiar.

Make sure you're not getting redboard-ed, someone might be selling you stolen gear or field trial/beta test gear or possibly lookalike clones that don't actually have functional Wiser software. A Wiser has to have a CNI for it to work. A standard 12V supply would work. Without a busbar, you'll need 2 power supplies, one for the CNI and one for the Wiser.

kjayakumar, Jul 27, 2009
  3. ariddell

ariddell

Doh!

Well and trully posted too soon, just been sent pics of these and turns out unless the design of the wiser has been greatly changed these are actually common old c-bus wireless gateway units... :(

Admin please delete this one to save me feeling like such a muppet having posted the thread before i fully checked out the information.

Cheers

ariddell, Jul 27, 2009
  4. ariddell

ashleigh Moderator

I had a word to admin.

He's a hard guy to get hold of - his mobile in Bolivia kept cutting out. But he says "nah leave the post there - its a good warning to anybody else who might get a similar offer".

Fair point, I spose.

ashleigh, Jul 27, 2009
  5. ariddell

ariddell

Oh well, it's not my first silly post in history and i'm sure it'll not be my last! :p

Next! :rolleyes:

ariddell, Jul 27, 2009
  6. ariddell

ariddell

Raised an interesting point though, do lookalike clones mentioned exist/is there couterfeit c-bus gear floating around out there that we should be wary of?

Had never thought that any c-bus kit would be anything other than genuine in the past as it's kind of a nieche product, so interesting to hear.

ariddell, Jul 27, 2009
  7. ariddell

kjayakumar

Although I haven't personally seen any counterfeit C-Bus gear, I know that there have been instances in the past where beta-test, field trial gear was sold by unscrupulous individuals. In those instances, everyone is worse off (except for the perp of course) as the gear may function but only partially.

I saw that you wrote "our usual c-bus kit supplier can't even get pricing for them", I saw some advice on solving that in this thread, http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25830&postcount=45.

kjayakumar, Jul 28, 2009
  8. ariddell

Darpa

I've seen alot of crap coming out of china (especially on ebay) that looks like c-bus gear, but has nothing to do with C-Bus, they are just standalone liht switches or whatever.

Have also once seen some counterfeit C-Bus units, but that was only once.

Darpa, Jul 29, 2009
Ask a Question