What transformers are supported by C-Bus dimmers?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fleetz, Jan 9, 2006.

1. fleetz

fleetz

What should I be looking for in tranformers for low voltage lights? I intend to have a buch in the new house and would like to know if there are any pitfalls?

Are there types that are recommended to work with C-Bus dimmers? Is there any reference data available from Clispal to clarify this?

I am looking at some Crompton lights/Tranformer combinations and the wholesaler could answer the question if the will work with C-Bus dimmers.

Any other things I should be looking out for ie VA rating of power transformer and the rating of of the dimmers etc.

Thanks,

Fleetz

fleetz, Jan 9, 2006
  2. fleetz

znelbok

znelbok, Jan 9, 2006
  3. fleetz

Nick Mullins

compatible tranis

there are many combos available on the market. Many sales people will tell you that the tranis are for Cbus because they support leading and trailing dimming.Be Very aware that it is the internal capacitance of the trani that becomes the problem good trani are <50 Nano farads . Save your self any bad experiences Ie Blowing tranis up or flickering lights like candle light when dimmed. I Only will use ATCO Possums on CBUS Installs . they are about 33 nano farads.If a client wants to supply there own lighting make them aware that the few extra dollars they spend on gettinh the right tranis will save them in the long run.And also that if the y supply the lights its all care and no responibilty if problems rare there head

You can use the search tool to find lots of posts and experiences on this subject

Nick Mullins, Jan 9, 2006
  4. fleetz

IanBuckle

IanBuckle, Jan 9, 2006
  5. fleetz

skyline

I have also just bought Atco Possums for my home, they only cost a few dollars extra but this balances out with the 5yr warranty (As opposed to 3 in most cases).

skyline, Jan 9, 2006
  6. fleetz

NickD Moderator

NickD, Jan 9, 2006
Ask a Question