What on earth?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AndyFry, Oct 8, 2022.

1. AndyFry

AndyFry

Hi folks,

Hoping you can help me out here. I bought this house about 6 years ago and I knew it had a cbus system.

The groups are all over the place(4 down lights in a bedroom operated individually) and one of the switches has fallen apart. I didn't realise how hard it would be to find replacement switches.

I also have no clue what I need to program the switches and groups?

Is there any resources you can point me at? I don't even really know what I have got here....

Attached Files:

AndyFry, Oct 8, 2022
  2. AndyFry

Trevor

Whats your location, what experience do you have, can you share more pictures... main controls, other...
    Regards
    Trevor

Trevor, Oct 8, 2022
    Conformist likes this.
  3. AndyFry

Ashley

This is a bit like saying "I just purchased a second hand car and it has broken down. I know nothing about cars, how do I fix it?" Now, sure, you can learn all about car mechanics and in time do your own maintenace. Lots of people do. But is this how you want to spend you time or would you just call a car mechanic?

Cbus complexity is in some ways similay to car mechanics. Some things are easy to fix, others are complex. To understand the whole system is a large undertaking. However, it is all well documented and in the public domain and the programming and diagnostic tools are available as a free download, so it's up to you how far you want to go. There is also plenty of help on these forums, but you have to help us by givng us enough information to be able to help.

All the information you need to fully understand and maintain/program a cbus system is on the clipsal/schneider web-site. Start there and see how you go. Come back here if you don't understand something.

That switch is a common part and should be readily available from any electrical supplier dealing in cbus. The part in the photograph is a slave switch that requires no programming so you can just plug a new one in.

You are probably better of getting in touch with a local cbus installer to have a look at the system, show you what you have got, and how you can start learning about it.

Ashley, Oct 8, 2022
    Conformist likes this.
  4. AndyFry

AndyFry

A few more photos

Attached Files:

AndyFry, Oct 9, 2022
  5. AndyFry

Conformist

As Ashley and Trevor have said, more info. You've popped up of output units (relays and dimmers) but are there any other units? Maybe in a WIR.
    Most importantly, provide details of where you are. This is a global forum so members can be in Australia, the US, the UK... anywhere. If in AU, advise on the city.

Conformist, Oct 9, 2022
  6. AndyFry

AndyFry

Sorry for the lack of info.

Yes I'm in Adelaide Australia and anyone I've asked, even those who are listed as cbus installers just tell me how expensive it's going to be to rip it out!

My background is IT for thirty odd years with some qualifications in electronics so the issue isn't really a conceptual thing, it's about details.

The guy who built the house was a Muppet and left no information on the system. No documentation or diagrams so I'm just trying to understand where to start.

I'm clearly looking for some kind of controller. Any idea what that might look like?

Good to know that I should just be able to swap the switch. I wasn't sure if it would pick up a new ID and require programming.

AndyFry, Oct 9, 2022
  7. AndyFry

Trevor

Ok that helps a bit, do you have a touch screen of any sort or just the DLT. If you have a basic system it my include scenes and schedules, these are controlled by logic controllers or set in some devices, others here could be more specific knowing all devices you have.
    To do thus yourself you need toolkit to start with, this runs on a PC, you will also need an interface for the PC to talk to the cbus network. It can show you all cbus devices on your network, great place to start.

If you want a cbus tech to check your system then yes, $$$, lots available in SA, some here on the forum as well.
    Regards
    Trevor

Trevor, Oct 9, 2022
  8. AndyFry

Conformist

Hi Andy

Like you, I'm located in Adelaide. I get a call per week here with C-Bus where a homeowner has bought a home and there is zero information from the previous owner..

Ripping the system can be expensive as you will need re-wiring to conventional wiring.

I'm happy to talk to you about what to look for with your system if you would like to give me a call during the week My business is Goodwood Electrical (goodwoodelectrical.com.au) You will find my contact number on the website. I can also let you know what (else) your system is capable of.

Cheers

Chris

Conformist, Oct 9, 2022
  9. AndyFry

Trevor

Hi,
    Chris at Goodwood is an excellent cbus tech, you cant go wrong with him, we have repaired many touchscreens for him and advice and help goes both ways.

Regards
    Trevor Callaghan
    JEA Technologies
    Workshom manager
    Clipsal colour touch screen repairs

Trevor, Oct 9, 2022
    Conformist likes this.
Ask a Question