What is a difference between AMX Home Automation and C-bus Home Automation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by microchip78, May 5, 2008.

1. microchip78

microchip78

Hi Guys,

I am building my new home and planning to install home automation system. After reading some information about C-bus I have decided to implement it. But recently I saw a office and one home automatized with AMX controls and screen. It is very impressive.

I am just wondering what exactly a difference between way C-bus controls lighting and AV and AMX control lightings and AV.

MC78

microchip78, May 5, 2008
  2. microchip78

paulw11

Hi,

From what I can see AMX is for the integration and control of other systems rather than a complete system on its own.

For example, as far as I know AMX do not make any dimmers or lighting control relays for use in Australia but you can get hardware to connect C-Bus units to the AMX NetLinx system.

AMX make some very nice touch screens and remotes and provide a very powerful platform for linking stuff together (press a button on the AMX remote to have the AV system turn on, screen drop, C-Bus lights dim etc).

Putting C-Bus in place gives you control over lights (and whatever else you hook up - blinds, audio etc). You can then choose to stick with the C-Bus controls or layer something else such as AMX, Crestron or Charmed Quark over the top.

Also, I don't know what your budget is but AMX is definitely not at the bargain-basement end of the scale.:rolleyes:

Paul

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2008
    paulw11, May 5, 2008
  3. microchip78

PSC

In the most simplistic form AMX is a control system and C-Bus is a lighting system.

AMX can control many other systems, whilst C-Bus is standalone.

AMX comes into its own when you want to seamlessly control lights, audio, visual, AC, security etc from the one panel.

AMX is a fantastic product, it all depends on your application. Most people would love to have it, although not many people can afford to install it into their (standard) home.

PSC, May 5, 2008
  4. microchip78

znelbok

So while you can see the difference from what others have said, AMX is not the be all and end all. There are other systems out there to allow you to do the same sort of thing at a much reduced cost.

I don't want to push what I use (just and end-user), but it is a lot cheaper than AMX, and there are others in a similar range to it.

If you have the budget then go with AMX, Crestron is also another high end system (come to think of it, are they still out there?)

Mick

znelbok, May 5, 2008
  5. microchip78

filpee

Most defiantly. They are.

Audio Telex took over distribution of Crestron a year or so ago and depending on who you talk to seem to be selling more products into the home market then AMX.
    AMX seem to be selling more products into the commercial market.

Both systems are fantastic control solutions and can sometimes be found on ebay but you need to be a dealer to access their free programming software.

filpee, May 5, 2008
  6. microchip78

Mikecull

One of the difeerences will definately be price. That ones up to the end user!!

Mikecull, May 6, 2008
  7. microchip78

brodricj

My home is wired with CBUS (23 devices on the network). I have looked at doing what you're thinking about. Charmed Quark Controller was promising (there is a CBUS driver written for it) however the up-front and annual licence fees tipped the scale against it. Plus it's better suited to those with a programming background who have home automation as a hobby. I did have a trial version of CQC up and running, I even had a programmer in the US login to my CQC server over the internet to test a device driver he had written, he was controlling the device in my house in real time from the other side of the world!!
    I have also looked at Crestron. The quote for that came to $11k for the hardware alone, plus $300 call out fee for the programmer to look at my system, then $150/hr after that to write the code to make it work, and plus 10% on all of that for GST. So the price would have been close to $20k, for one wireless touch screen to control my HT. And if you need to make any changes in your system, call-out and re-programming fees apply.
    AMX is a similar system, it controls other stuff.
    What looks promising at the moment is the Pronto TSU9600 touch screen matched with the RFX9600 serial extender. I have just bought both and the outlay was less than $1200 all up. The Pronto can do what the Crestron/AMX can do but at a fraction of the cost. However there will be some java programming required to get bi-direction control working. That is my present project. Any feedback on same appreciated.

brodricj, May 7, 2008
  8. microchip78

2SC

I am reading in its product information leaflet:
    Connectivity
    ?Built-in wireless technology: 802.11g

I was wondering if it is possible to get access in a remote computer that is running homegate

2SC, May 7, 2008
  9. microchip78

Richo

Just reading the Philips website suggests that you can use javascript in the unit to write modules that can access IP ports. So you might be able to implement a C-Gate driver within the unit in Javascript. It doesn't appear to have a web browser so you probably won't have anyway of accessing Homegate. Altough using the serial extender you could link it to your PC via RS232 and access that via the Logic Engine, but that seems like an overly complicate way to do things.

Richo, May 7, 2008
  10. microchip78

brodricj

I know that you can get Pronto Pro to capture RSS feeds from the internet (eg to get TV program guide listings). You can also get an adapter to connect an RFX9600 com port to the ps/2 port on a PC and use the Pronto as a wireless keyboard. There is some useful information about this in the remotecentral forums.

brodricj, May 7, 2008
Ask a Question