What have I got, and how do I change it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spiky, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Spiky

Spiky

I've recently bought a house which has a Clipsal C-Bus system fitted.

I know that it's a 'C-Touch Spectrum + Logic', Hardware Version 1.0, C-Bus Firmware Version 5.4.00, and C-Touch Firmware Version 3.80.0.

And that, sadly, is about where my knowledge of the thing ends.

I would like to get to know it an awful lot better, and would also like to change many of the settings that the system has been given. I have a rather sexy looking touch-screen thingy which allows me to control individual lights etc, but I cannot find a way of changing the programming.

I'm pretty handy with IT and computers, but I'm no electrician.

Apologies in advance if I've posted this in the wrong thread.

Spiky, Apr 6, 2015
  2. Spiky

daniel C-Busser Moderator

Welcome to C-Bus :)

First things first - as long as you don't touch the wiring, you don't need to be an electrician.

Second, if you can get the original project files from the previous owners or the contractor that installed the system this will get you up and running faster. You can "reverse-engineer" the project from the hardware but it will take you a lot longer.

Third, it's easier if you have a dedicated PCI or CNI to commission the network, but failing that your C-Touch can function as a gateway with a couple of caveats; it's not as reliable a gateway as the above and it won't run Logic at the same time so you will end up changing modes often as you work on your system.

You'll want to download and install both C-Bus Toolkit and PICED to a Windows PC. The first lets you configure all of your C-Bus devices, the second lets you configure the C-Touch display. The documentation is pretty good but it will take you a while to work through it all from scratch!

daniel, Apr 8, 2015
  3. Spiky

Spiky

Thanks for your reply Daniel.

I believe that I do have the original project files from the installer. I have a .cbz file and a .xml file. I've also downloaded the C-Bus Toolkit and PICED to my laptop, and am able to get them started and running.

Which of the original project files do I require? I presume that I import the information straight into one of the programs, but which one?

I guess that once I've got to this stage, altering some of the parameters is going to be pretty straightforward (please tell me that it is...).

Spiky, Apr 8, 2015
  4. Spiky

daniel C-Busser Moderator

Drop the .xml file into your C:\Clipsal\C-Gate2\tag directory. You should then be able to open C-Bus Toolkit, see your project in the treeview and expand it.

I don't think you will need the .cbz file. This is simply a zip file that contains multiple .xml files, it is used by the backup/restore feature in Toolkit. If you extract it with a Zip utility I expect you will find it contains another copy of the same .xml file you already have, though possibly a newer or older version.

Now as far as "altering the parameters" goes, it depends on what you want to change and how the installer implemented the design.

Using C-Bus Toolkit you can configure just about every other C-Bus device you have EXCEPT the C-Touch. So if you want to change a key function or a scene stored on one of those devices you can do that essentially within minutes.

If you want to change the layout on the C-Touch or alter a scene or a piece of Logic stored on that unit, you need to use PICED. This is a lot more involved, and it doesn't look like you have a C-Touch project file (.cta). You can extract this from the C-Touch itself but it will be missing a few bits of information which you will need to add back in by hand. At this point I can only direct you to the PICED documentation.

Good luck!

daniel, Apr 8, 2015
  5. Spiky

Spiky

Thanks again Daniel - excellent help!

I'll let you know how it goes.

Spiky, Apr 8, 2015
  6. Spiky

DarylMc

Hi Spiky
    Congratulations on your new home.
    Having CBus already there allows a lot of options.
    It also wouldn't be a terrible idea to do one of the basic training courses and or search out a CBus integrator to get you up and running.

DarylMc, Apr 9, 2015
Ask a Question