What do i need

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Reckless Motor Sport, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Reckless Motor Sport

Reckless Motor Sport

I hope this is the right place to post.

I'm about to build a new house and want to install a CBus system to control the lights what do i need to get started.

I want 2 of SATURN 5 GANG KEY INPUT,DLT
    [​IMG]

and around 20 of the switches
    [​IMG]

We want the ability to dim lights all if possible and maybe an auto light in the bathrooms and also be able to set certain lights to come on if we are away for the night.

The house in a 3 bedroom 2 story house with an office and 2 living areas

Reckless Motor Sport, Feb 27, 2009
  2. Reckless Motor Sport

Leigh

To answer your question we need a lot more information.
    Some of the more basic information is:-
    (1) Are you intending to install the system yourself - what is your experience?
    (2) How many SETS of lights will you have (eg a set of lights may consist of 1, 2, 4 lights etc which all switch on/off or dim together).
    (3) How many sets will just be on or off? How many sets will you need to dim?
    (4) There are many different C-Bus units available to switch or dim lights. The selection depends on the wattage to be controlled and the number of sets (ie channels) to be controlled. (eg fluros are much lower wattage than downlights).
    (5) The light switch you had in your second picture is available in 1, 2 or 4 gang. The combination you use will determine how many individual switches you need.
    (5) Passive Infrared Occupancy Detectors (PIR) are available to detect when an area is in use.
    (6) To control lights automatically when you are away at night will need a unit that can run a program. There are several options available, the cheapest being a Pascal Automation Controller (PAC).

Leigh, Feb 27, 2009
  3. Reckless Motor Sport

Reckless Motor Sport

Hi Leigh i hop this helps a bit

(1) We will have an electrican do it we just want to purchase all the parts because we get a good trade price for the company i work for.

(2) Bedrooms will have 1 down light Kitchen will have 4 lights 1 in each of the lounge rooms room 1 in each barthroom

(3) Want to dim the main bedroom kitchen and 2 lounge rooms and dinning

(4) all lights will be down lights

(5) 1 light to control

(5) use this in the main bathroom but dont want the lights comming on during the day

(6) with the pacsal does the software run on windows 2008 server

Reckless Motor Sport, Feb 27, 2009
  4. Reckless Motor Sport

PeteS

Your answers show enough gaps in your knowledge for me to suggest that you to use a proper C Bus installer.

PeteS, Feb 28, 2009
  5. Reckless Motor Sport

Reckless Motor Sport

I will be Pete i just want to know what to buy so i can save some money

Reckless Motor Sport, Feb 28, 2009
  6. Reckless Motor Sport

Leigh

I don't think you have enough down lights in the bedrooms and lounges unless they are very, very small rooms. I suggest you take your floor plan to a lighting expert/retailer and get some recommendations.

I don't understand your answer (5). Remember that with C-Bus it is very easy to achieve 2-way, 3-way etc switching. I would have expected that you would need several multi gang switches.

Have you considered lights on outside walls etc?

It is still difficult to recommend equipment without more information, but I don't think you would go wrong with the following:-

L5512RVF. 12 Channel relay rated at 10A per channel. Includes power supply. Buy 2.

L5508D1A. 8 Channel dimmer rated at 1A per channel. Includes power supply. Buy 1.

5500PACA. Pascal Automation Controller (PAC). Buy 1.

5751L. PIR. Buy 1.

Switches to suit requirements.

5005C305B. C-Bus Pink Cable.

Make sure your electrician is a trained C-Bus Installer. If he/her is not, then you will need to buy more equipment and you will also end up with a mighty big headache!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2009
    Leigh, Feb 28, 2009
  7. Reckless Motor Sport

Reckless Motor Sport

Thanks Leigh for you help

Reckless Motor Sport, Feb 28, 2009
  8. Reckless Motor Sport

Reckless Motor Sport

Hey Leigh if i want to use just the following switch
    SATURN 5 GANG KEY INPUT,DLT

Do i need to buy the L5512RVF relay

Reckless Motor Sport, Mar 3, 2009
  9. Reckless Motor Sport

Leigh

The switch you mention is classed as an input unit and operates at 36v DC. It does not switch the lights directly, but passes commands to the relay unit which is classed as an output unit.

Output units, such as the relay, are the devices that control the load (eg lights) which normally require 240v.

Any C-Bus network that controls lighting would have to comprises of at least one input unit (eg a switch or PIR) and one output unit (eg a relay or a dimmer).

Leigh, Mar 4, 2009
  10. Reckless Motor Sport

Reckless Motor Sport

Thanks Leigh i think i might give cbus a miss the switches are $80 each so all up it would cost around $5500 for all the parts

Reckless Motor Sport, Mar 4, 2009
  11. Reckless Motor Sport

znelbok

That is cheap.

If you continue with C-Bus you will never regret it. I have been faced with the question many times - why should I spend that much just to turn on the lights. Once the people who asked the question have been living with it they never complain and wonder how they did without.

You can always do as I am doing, only put in a few switches and add them as money allows. That's the beauty of the system, change the input unit configuration as you go.

I would strongly suggest that you go to the CIS website and download the C-bus documents and learn about how it goes together and what each components function is - you will get all your answers there and a better understanding of what the possibilities are

Mick

znelbok, Mar 4, 2009
Ask a Question