Warehouse - High Elevation PIR

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Memphix, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Memphix

Memphix

I'm looking for a sensor that is capable of being mounted 10 metres or more from ground height and range anywhere up to 50 metres. Cbus PIRs wont be suitable but will integrate an alternative sensor via the AUX unit.

Has anyone done this and have a PIR recommendation (or something to avoid) for this application? Is anyone switching lights automatically in warehouses? ... and controlling them with sensors?

Beam sensors are not appropriate due to cabling hassels.

Thanks.

Memphix, Dec 8, 2011
  2. Memphix

Colin1142

In the UK we have tried several different types and the only ones that really work have been Ex-Or ones (honeywell company) These are microwave based. Other companies IR ones have been generally unsuccesful, not picking up forklift trucks ect.

Colin1142, Dec 8, 2011
  3. Memphix

DonB

Highbay Sensors by SE in USA

SquareD by SE in US have highbay sensor range designed for this purpose. There is Market demand for individual sensors on T5 fitting and they are using product that was provided by a small acquisition from a couple of years back of a company called Viewpoint. (check link)

http://products.schneider-electric....g-control/sensors/high-bay-occupancy-sensors/

Please PM me if you would like to explore further, I cannt promise that these will be suitable or easy to get but know we have used them with C-Bus on some large projects.

DonB, Dec 9, 2011
  4. Memphix

Memphix

Great thanks for the details.

Both options seem to provide a sensor that can be mounted very high but the span on the ground is quite small, about a 1:1 ratio (for 1 meter high it covers 1 meter wide etc). Both solutions seem to have a product that is intended for each fitting... how much are these devices? Could they be wired in series to switch the whole aisle and/or back to a input unit?

Memphix, Dec 9, 2011
  5. Memphix

Matthew

Too High for PIR

Hi Memphix
    I would have thought that 10M is too high for a PIR. They work by detecting a heat source crossing their beams. The further away you get from a PIR, the less sensitivity you have as the cone shaped beams become much wider. Look at the instructions from a Clipsal/C-bus PIR if you want pictorial/ further explanation.
    I've done PIR's at low level into each end of aisle's in storage warehouses, that worked OK from memory! but clients (Govt) always worried about the lights going off when someone was in there (OHS nightmare:eek:) so somehow timer switches were more acceptable.
    I did some large lecture theaters with Microwave sensors many years ago (they were Ex Or make same as Colin1142 mentions) however we used C-Bus PIR's to turn the load on (through the entry's to the space) and the the microwaves in the main area to hold & turn off as they can go through walls and we were worried about false triggering.
    Ultrasonic seem to be more headache than use, too sensitive to air movement but that is my opinion.
    Assuming you have Fluoro load to control as HID will not like being switched on & off.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2011
    Matthew, Dec 11, 2011
  6. Memphix

Memphix

Thanks.

Does anyone have pricing/contact person for the Honeywel/Ex Or sensors?

I did not think PIR technology would be appropriate either but have since seen PIRs with ranges up to 250m (over a grand a sensor) but still with mounting heights much too low. Not sure if mounting heights are a technology limitation or just the typical design consideration.

Also, is there a contact for schneider products (calling from Victoria)?

Memphix, Dec 11, 2011
  7. Memphix

tobex

Other options include a radar system (used for detecting movement in a large void such as a domestic roof) and also a video camera set with scene change software (usually included with camera controllers).

Sometimes there are solutions which are combined with CCTV which do exactly the same thing. I have a NSW Security permit 2BF.

tobex, Dec 11, 2011
  8. Memphix

mattyb

Hey Memphix

The Ex-Or sensors are distributed in Australia by Schneider Electric (Buildings), who were formally known as Energy Conservation Systems. They are a slightly different dog to the Clipsal/Schneider we know and mostly love.

PM me and I can give you the details for my contact there - we use their sensors quite often.

Cheers

Matt

mattyb, Dec 12, 2011
  9. Memphix

Matthew

Many sensors

Hi Memphix
    I don't think the Ex-Or sensors are related to Honeywell. As Mattyb said Ex-Or are predominantly distributed in Aust by ECS (recently acquired by Schneider Buildings who were previously known as TAC). I got mine through Elsafe Australia P/L who you will easily find in the white pages. Sensor switch also make a good range of sensors, these are distributed by JSB lighting and can be procured through any wholesaler. They have some specific purpose sensors (such as corridors) and other dual-tech that use michrophonics.
    For the record I tried the latest Clipsal C-Bus linked sensors (752PP & 752/CU) on a project recently and had no joy with the Ultrasonic because of the air movement in the room.
    Cheers

Matthew, Dec 18, 2011
  10. Memphix

PrismES

Hi All,
    CP Electronics in the UK have a great MWS7 microwave presence detector.

Details Here

I did mean to mention they have distributors in Australia.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2012
    PrismES, Feb 9, 2012
  11. Memphix

Matthew

Matthew, May 3, 2012
Ask a Question