Volume Control/Long Press keys...

Discussion in 'Infrared (NIRT, IR Reader) and CIRCA' started by wanricky, Oct 18, 2007.

1. wanricky

wanricky

Another thread about Volume Control :)

Want to clarify:

The right way of programming vol+/-; prog +/-..etc;
    increase frame rate to 255; program the switch as bell press.

Question 1:
    I need to use a 5088TX remote to control the Vol+/-, and there is a delay between my action and the real control. So the vol may still goes up a second after I release my button. Is it possible to use a smaller frame rate like 128 to slow down the vol+/- speed?

Question 2:
    Silly question but I want to be 100% sure that the loss of 5088TX control signal in-between a long press would trigger the "Long release" action, right? I don't want Vol+ all the way due to the unstable IR transmittion between my remote and switch.

Question 3:
    Some functions like Fast Forward and Next Chapter are using the same key in a remote, depending on the Long Press or Short Press. Does using Frame rate 255 help producing the same effect from a switch as from the origin remote?

wanricky, Oct 18, 2007
  2. wanricky

Richo

frame rate = how many frames to send (the term frame rate is a poor terminology choice). Changing this won't change the response time to releasing a press.

The way it works is that:

A) You press IR button down
    B) Remote sends IR signal to input unit.
    C) Input unit sends a group on command to C-Bus
    D) Nirt sees the Group Address go on
    E) Nirt starts sending IR command to device.
    F) Device receives IR Command and starts ramping volume.
    G) You release IR Button
    H) IR stops transmitting IR signal
    I) Input units stops seeing IR signal
    J) Input unit issues a group off command to c-bus
    K) Nirt sees the group address go off
    J) Nirt stops sending IR command to device
    K) Device sees IR command stop and stops ramping volume.

The problem you are experiencing is due to the lag from step (G) to step (K). This has little to do with the frame rate. The frame rate is actually how *many* frames to send, not how *fast* to send them. Change the ramp rate shortens or lengthen how long you can ramp the volume for, not how quickly or slowly. For example, if you set the ramp rate to just 10, the volume would stop ramping before you release the button as the Nirt would run out of frames to send to the device prior to you telling it to stop.

That should be the case, the switch is looking for the presence of the ir signal. If it goes away is treats it as a key release. There is only one type of IR signal issues from the remote, it just keeps issuing repeatedly why the button is held down. The switch takes the absence of that signal to indicate a key release.

yes, as the frame rate sets how long the Nirt tansmits the signal for. Sending a group off (or trigger off) will cause the Nirt to cut the transmission off early.

Richo, Oct 18, 2007
  3. wanricky

wanricky

Thanks for your reply, I finally made it work the way I want.

Just two reminder from my experience:

(1) Since I used the Reader to learn the IR codes in the first place, Vol+/-, Prog+/- didn't work with multiple transmissions. I.e. It only transmit once no matter what the frame rate is. It is because these buttons have different transmission pattern then the other keys, and learning them with reader along with other normal keys would make them in a different/shorter code. It works for single transmission in my case, but not continuously. So, either I have to learn these keys in a different file, or find the right keys file from the default library.

(2) make sure programming the switch to bell press first! I nearly blow up the speakers when I keep trying different codes on the NIRT :D

By the way, how could we upload the NIRT set-up from the IR Transmitter itself, like we did in the version 1 software?

wanricky, Oct 22, 2007
Ask a Question