Vista Socket Error Message

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by SBR69, Aug 22, 2008.

1. SBR69

SBR69

Can any one possibly shed some light on this situation or have they also seen this problem. I just purchased a new laptop with Vista as the operating system. I downloaded the current versions of piced and toolkit and have programed a new clients colour touch screen. When I go to connect to unit or transfer to screen it comes up SOCKET ERROR 10013 access denied. I have turned of all fire walls and norton security but still no connection. Any suggestions or other programs which may block the connection please let me know. My thanks in advance.

SBR69, Aug 22, 2008
  2. SBR69

NickD Moderator

This one got me too... you need to run PICED as an administrator, by right clicking on the shortcut and clicking "Run as Administrator"...

I found I had to do this even though I was logged in on an account with "Administrator" rights... I don't understand it but it worked.

Nick

NickD, Aug 22, 2008
  3. SBR69

Richo

The reason you have to do this even thou you are an Administrator is that Vista runs programs as a normal user by default. As an administrator you have the ability to request a program run with Administrator privileges if needed.

Piced needs to have a manifest shipped with it so that it tells Vista that it requires administrator privileges, then Vista will show the UAC (user access control) dialog on launch to get confirmation by the user that Vista is allowed to run Piced with admin priviledges.

Richo, Aug 24, 2008
Ask a Question