Vista/C-Bus behavioural problem

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Bluey, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Bluey

Bluey

I have recently uprgraded my computer and it came installed with Vista. I recently had to replace the communications chips on my minder board also. Since having the chips replaced I am able to communicate with Minder but there seems to be some sort of a problem with C-Bus.

When I try to access C-Bus, I can connect to the network and the C-Bus software uploads all of the c-bus units on the local network, but when I double click a unit to access the template, it brings up a window with Part='NEWUNIT',Unit '16' and if I try this with various units I get the same Part and Unit. (See image)

I am using C-Bus V2.7.10 which communicates throgh a C-bus chip on the Minder board. I have attemptedto use Toolkit but I am not able to connect at all to the network.

I would appreciate any ideas as this problem makes it very difficult to make any changes to our network.

Cheers

Craig

Attached Files:

Bluey, Jan 30, 2008
  2. Bluey

PSC

Craig,

You need to get your hands on a program like VMWare.

This will allow you to install Windows 98 (within Vista), ensuring the correct operation of the HomeMinder and C-Bus software.

PSC, Jan 30, 2008
  3. Bluey

Richo

Toolkit is not compatible with Minder if I recall correctly. You will need to use a PCI or CNI, or other PCI compatible unit (CBTI, PACA)

Richo, Jan 30, 2008
  4. Bluey

Ashley W

Yes quite correct, you could never use tool kit PROPERLY through Minder. In some cases it may have worked fine but it has never been supported by Clipsal as an access method. The only soultion would be to buy a different interface to C-bus.

Ashley W, Jan 30, 2008
  5. Bluey

rhamer

He's not using Toolkit. He is using V2 of the original programming software that is compatible with Minder acting as a PCI.

However I don't know what your problem is, I think PSC's suggestion is your best bet (vmware or Microsofts Virtual Machine are both free these days).

Although I would consider getting a new PCI then you can use all the latest software without any problems.

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Jan 31, 2008
  6. Bluey

Richo

Yeah, but there is a good chance that V2 can't work with the units on his network. V2 is really way to old to use in anything but support of preexisting old cbus networks.

Richo, Jan 31, 2008
  7. Bluey

PSC

But Toolkit is not compatible with the HomeMinder software i.e. updating tags.

PSC, Jan 31, 2008
  8. Bluey

Richo

You should be able to export your tags back to V2 for use by Minder. It's all very messy, but I beleive thats the best Clipsal provides at the moment. I wouldn't recommend using V2 to program your network just so you don't have to press the export button in Toolkit. If you only have really old units and don't want to buy a PCI then using V2 is an option.

Richo, Jan 31, 2008
  9. Bluey

Bluey

Thank you all for the advice. As I do only have old C-Bus hardware, for the time being I am going to attempt the VMWare suggestion. I was using this software successfully with both Win98SE and XP so that will be my first avenue.

As for getting a new PCI, the C-Bus chip is on the Minder board as far as I understand it so I'm not sure how that works, but if I went down that path I would probably contact an installer to sort me out.

i'll be sure to let you know how I go with the VMWare experiment.

Cheers to all

Craig

Bluey, Jan 31, 2008
  10. Bluey

Duncan

If nothing else.. thanks for posting a V2 screenshot.. it seems so quaint in hindsight :) a real blast from the past.

Duncan, Jan 31, 2008
  11. Bluey

PSC

It's called Retro Duncan! ;)

PSC, Jan 31, 2008
  12. Bluey

Richo

You wouldn't replace the minder chip, just install the PCI elsewhere on the network for use by Toolkit.

Richo, Jan 31, 2008
Ask a Question