Virtual Lights

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GlenF, Mar 16, 2008.

1. GlenF

GlenF

Hi,

I am trying to use a DLT panel to trigger some external events in my Home automation controller. My CBUS setup reports events and status to the HA controller via an RS232 interface which it reads and updates a status table. I was hoping I could create some virtual lights that I can turn on and off on the DLT and the status update on the RS232 will enable me to trigger some other events (like turning the projector on (rs232 from the HA controller)).

I have created the virtual group and can assign them to a button, however, as they are not assigned to an actual output they do not update the status on the serial output. I can turn the virtual switches on from the HA controller ie the LEDs come on, however, not in reverse.

Does anyone know how I may be able to configure this to work? The obvious answer is to install extra outputs and switch them with nothing connected (hence trigger the update). I am hoping to save this expense, however, if I can't get this to work without it, can anyone suggest the cheapest alternative for an output switch?

Thanks
    Glen

GlenF, Mar 16, 2008
  2. GlenF

nickrusanov

do you see these virtual groups triggered in toolkit application log, when you press a button?

i never had problems with using virtual groups through PC interface

nickrusanov, Mar 16, 2008
  3. GlenF

PSC

Glen,

You need to place the 'virtual' group address that you want to control in an output device.

Even if it's in the 'logic' section of a dimmer or relay and you don't assign any channels to it. Then C-Bus will know the state of that GA.

PSC, Mar 17, 2008
  4. GlenF

Dave Byron

Peter,
    Is this a requirement of his HA package ??
    I use virtual group that do not exist on any output unit to control all sorts of gear, ie a DLT turning on a Scene in a C-Touch.

dave

Dave Byron, Mar 17, 2008
  5. GlenF

PSC

Dave,

As an example, if you are using Homegate / Schedule + and C-Gate disconnects, and if the GA does not reside anywhere i.e. output units; when C-Gate reconnects it won't know the state of the GA until it triggered again. So if it's a small job you can store the values in output units. On larger projects you would need to write some code in the 'intialisation' section of the logic engine to set all the values to either on or off.

In Glen's case, if you 'push' the code from C-Bus to the HA controller it will work fine (if the code / strings are correct), but when the HA controller tries to pull the GA state from C-Bus there is nothing to read as it does not reside anywhere.

If the problem is with the HA controller not receiving any messages from C-Bus the problem may lie within the code / string.

So Dave, it's only an issue when a 3rd party (non C-Bus enabled) HLI device is connected to C-Bus. In saying that the C-Bus colour touch screen will have the same problem if it disconnects from the network but only if the GA does not reside in an output unit.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2008
    PSC, Mar 17, 2008
  6. GlenF

GlenF

Thanks Peter,

I'll give it a try. I think you understand what I am trying to achieve.

Glen

GlenF, Mar 17, 2008
  7. GlenF

GlenF

Peter,

Thanks again. It all worked great.

Glen

GlenF, Mar 17, 2008
  8. GlenF

ICS-GS

Ahh... this explains some of the wierd things i have been experiencing lately, using logic.

I.e. If alarm panel armed pulse -> set GA "panel armed" ON in logic.
    If alarm panel dis-armed pulse -> set GA "panel armed" OFF in logic.

This "panel armed" GA then disables some PIR's, but on power fail, if i go into toolkit, the GA state is <unknown>, as the GA is only being used to manipulate input units, i now have answers... thanks PSC

ICS-GS, Mar 18, 2008
Ask a Question