Version 1 vs version 2 cbus

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by alanm, Nov 22, 2013.

1. alanm

alanm

Hello,

I understand you can use a mixture of v1 and v2 cbus units in the same network.

What is the difference between the two versions?
    Does the network downgrade to the lowest common denominator (version 1) or just the version 1 units have limited functionality?

Thanks in advance,

Alan.

alanm, Nov 22, 2013
  2. alanm

ashleigh Moderator

The difference is that Cbus 2 has more marketing in it.

MOST Cbus 2 products also support learn, cbus 1 did not, however thats not a hard and fast rule. The "cbus 2" term has also pretty much been removed - or so I last thought.

ashleigh, Nov 23, 2013
  3. alanm

Ashley W

As Ashleigh said the main difference was C-bus2 introduced learn capability, which for most serious C-bus users probably isn't even used as it gives just a very basic set-up.

Other than that no difference in the protocol, physical network etc so no reason why they cannot be mixed and matched.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2013
    Ashley W, Nov 23, 2013
  4. alanm

daniel C-Busser Moderator

I should mention that for the older C-Bus units that do not have serial numbers C-Gate is a little slower at scanning, unravelling, readdressing etc. It still gets there, it's just jumping more hoops under the covers. Shouldn't affect operational performance of the physical C-Bus network or the control software though.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2013
    daniel, Nov 25, 2013
Ask a Question