Verbatim 12V driver on C-bus2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alansville, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Alansville

Alansville

I had replaced the original 12V 50W halogen electronic transformer with an LED suitable one driving a Philips mr16 6.5W globe. It is on our C-bus2 dimmer cct. & the dimmer function is disabled. It was fine until I decided to swap the transformer with a similar spec'd device, namely the Verbatim S2901. 0-50W 11.5V @4.3A. I first bench tested the Verbatim & it worked fine, but when connected to the C-bus2 ti was dead. A second Verbatim unit did the same thing - dead - 240v in, zero output! The globe still tests OK. Anyone got any clues?? The Verbatim was from Reduction Revolution & is specified to work off leading/trailing edge dimmers. Alan

Alansville, Sep 25, 2021
  2. Alansville

Matthew

Try using a suitable LED down light. When you are using a "bulb" & an electronic Tx and a dimmer, you have 3 electronic devices all trying to work together to do something they were not originally designed to do. If you use a LED downlight it's only the compatibility between the Driver & the dimmer.
    While many items claim they work on Leading edge, my experience is that few do.
    The downlights from Osram/Ledvance all seem to work well on C-Bus leading edge dimmers

Matthew, Oct 20, 2021
  3. Alansville

Alansville

Thanks Mathew, I think you are correct. I used the MR 16 globe specifically to get a 36deg beam angle. Am still puzzled why the C-bus circuit killed 2 Verbatim Tx's dead, yet when I used a "Clean Power" TP710 electronic Tx it worked ok,, albeit with some weird side effects, eg. just before full brightness when dimming UP, the globe would switch off momentarily before stabilizing at full brightness.; when dimming down it goes to half brightness, then cuts off abruptly; At a critical brightness level, the globe can go into an unstable mode where it pulses on & off like a strobe1

Yes, I will be using a 240V integrated fitting for most of the 30 odd halogen replacements. The Verbatim 10W flush fitting for 90mm hole seems to work well - no flickering or weird effects, a little brighter then the 50 W halogen, and it has the 3 position colour temp. switch. Only problem is it does not dim down to zero like the halogens, and a small power socket must be fitted to allow easy user replacement.

Question: Do you know of any LED fitting which will dim 100% up/down, on C-bus2 with NO funny effects ??

Alansville, Oct 22, 2021
Ask a Question