Variables from External Devices

Discussion in 'C-Bus Automation Controllers' started by brianza, Jan 21, 2021.

1. brianza

brianza

I have been wondering about this for a while and would like to know if it is possible.

Does anyone have any experience with displaying data on a C-Touch (B/W Touch screen) from an external source?

Some examples:

1. A weather station that sends UDP data (eg external temperature)
    2. The water level from a sensor
    3. Garage Door state

and so on.

I can import CBUS variables but what about such scenarios?

Brian

brianza, Jan 21, 2021
    1. Advertisements

2. brianza

Ashley

There are lots of ways of interfacing external devices with cbus. It is done all the time. If you search the forums you will find plenty of info. If have a specific question about a specific device, feel free to ask about that.

Ashley, Jan 21, 2021
    1. Advertisements

3. brianza

brianza

Thank you.

I have a weather station (weatherflow tempest) which has two options for interfacing. Either rest Api or UDP packets on a specific port.

I also have a solaredge pv inverter that offers data through api.

I would like to use the touch screen as a dashboard displaying data from these devices and also take actions according to the data being received.

I have c-gate running on a server, homebridge and also node-red which may help.

I would like to know how to bring such data into the Cubs system after which I should be ok

brianza, Jan 22, 2021
  4. brianza

chromus

Which touch screen do you have? there are multiple versions and capabilities vary.

chromus, Jan 29, 2021
  5. brianza

brianza

Mine are these:
    5050CTL2GB- B/W with Logic.

Just to be complete I am familiar with Aux and General Input C-Bus units. My question is more about how to get IP based network data (which would come in as UDP or TCP packets to display on the touch screen).

brianza, Jan 29, 2021
  6. brianza

Ashley

Without a Cbus device that supports networking (like the SHAC, Wiser or the original colour touchscreen) you are going to have to use an external application to fetch the data, decode it, and write it to cbus via cgate. I can't help you with off the shelf apps that can do this as I just wrote my own,

Ashley, Jan 29, 2021
  7. brianza

brianza

Actually I also have a cytech comfort alarm which is seen as a Wiser on the be e Cbus network and this also has Ethernet. Would this help? Alternatively could you point me to programming documentation on how to get data into cgate and I’ll try to program it myself.

brianza, Jan 30, 2021
  8. brianza

Ashley

I haven't used Cytech alarm panels but I would be surprised if they were programmable to that level.

All the cgate documentation is installed with cgate. It's in C:\Clipsal\C-Gate2 on windows. Writing group address or measurement values is quite straightforward.

Ashley, Jan 30, 2021
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question