Value for Money

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Phoneman, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Phoneman

Phoneman

There is no use preaching to the converted about how versatile, useful and awe inspiring the C-Bus and Minder technology can be. I think however Clipsal need to consider making it easier for us to preach to the non-believers (aka price driven consumers).

One way many organisations achieve this is through offering entry level products that are either loss leaders or budget options that enable the masses to be introduced to the wonders of C-Bus technology.

Consider a package that includes the following;

1 x L5512 12 Channel Relay
    12 x C5031NL Standard Switch Input units
    1 x Surface mounted Enclosure

Lets face it, to up-sell this package to include say a 6 channel dimmer, a couple of Saturn's a PIR or two and of course a C-Touch to tie it all together is far easier than having no base to start with and if Clipsal are serious about owning this market, they really need to get into it!

We all know that life really is like a box of chocolates. You can't stop at one!

Or am I just kidding myself?

Phoneman, Aug 19, 2004
  2. Phoneman

Advantex

agree. Warehouse do it, K-mart do it, Dick Smith does it.... and on it goes. Lead lines, demo's, enticers, trial versions... lets face it - it works. Clipsal, if they choose, could do the same. TEC when they first began producing electronic cash registers undercut the market (IBM mainly) by a huge margin, suffered a loss for several years, then had a coverted market for ages - no one would buy any other brand for many years! - and they gradually increased the price.

Would however, suggest a dimmer module rather than a relay unit - dimmers are sexy even though not many people install wall mount dimmers these days (maybe price?). We need to revitalise the dim-mode trend.

All of my clients have installed one or more touch screens - again, they are sexy and the house down the road doesn't have one (keep up with the Jones effect). There could be many combo's (just like McDonalds) priced much the same.

In essence, I think the idea is good - what do Clipsal think?

Advantex, Aug 19, 2004
  3. Phoneman

Phoneman

Upgrade

Thanks for supporting the idea Advantex. I do however feel that the relay is and should be the entry, the dimmer gives us the upgrade options. Even Clipsal deserve to make a buck!

Phoneman, Aug 19, 2004
  4. Phoneman

Ashley W

Quite some interesting idea's. The price of C-Bus equipment is quite surprising. I set my system up in 2000 and recently had to purchase a new PIR and the costs seem to have doubled. Out of interest I did a quick cost analysis of what my exisitng system would cost with current parts and it was about 1.75 times what I payed. Thats without even considering adding some of the newer items like C-Touch which would be good, but roughly $1000 is a lot of money.

I'm gathering the costs are related to development costs rather than actual manufacturing costs. With a small market peneteration you need to charge a premium to recoever costs, but there are times when it might be better to take a short term loss to lower the unit cost and recover development costs over a larger number of units. I think something like that would benifit us all (consumer, clipsal and integrators), much more than package deals.

Ashley W, Aug 19, 2004
  5. Phoneman

Clyde

Rather than the choice of relay or dimmer, why not both. If Clipsal reverted to the older C-Bus2 din mount output units, which were modular in design, would it not be possible to manufacture a 12mod unit with lets say 4 dimm channels and 4 relay channels, with power supply in the same unit.

Would that not meet the domestic market requirements? for the home theatre or living area, and if the price for this hybrid was to be the same as for a 12 channel relay or the 8 channel dimmer units. Then surely offered as a starter pack this unit would give the options and also the sparkle to keep up with the Jones's and beat them into a cocked hat.

Possibilities ?

Regards Clyde

Clyde, Aug 19, 2004
  6. Phoneman

Advantex

Clyde

Like that idea. Many PLC manufacturers offer similar idea, combo input/output units, some offer them as 'starter packs'. It could work.

Advantex, Aug 20, 2004
  7. Phoneman

Phoneman

Fair's Fair

Guys if we want this type off thing to work in all our favours, we must think about the extra's and upgrades rather than satisfying consumer needs in the initial offer.

If Clipsal were to offer a multi unit as suggested, few consumers would be tempted into upgrading and paying for the extra's we can offer. Remember, the coding for 12 on 12 off is not going to take a lot of effort, especially the second time around!

Furthermore, if the proposition is not attractive to Clipsal et al, why would they do it. Think about the way the project builders work; the home is the basic spec and you pay a premium if you want to make changes.

I stand by my original specs.

Phoneman, Aug 20, 2004
  8. Phoneman

Clyde

Yep get what your saying Phoneman, but I thought, and I've heard it from the MD's lips, that the future of C-Bus was to get it out there, create a product that everyone knows about, Fair enough a starter pack for the masses (not really keen on that idea), but leave the integration to those that know what they are doing.

If Clipsal wanted to keep the integrators in work then why did they develop the learn enabled products. Mass market?

Look at it this way, Joe Bloggs buys from B & Q a socket outlet and feels OK about installing it him/her self, but when it comes to a re-wire they dont feel confident enough. So who do they get to do the work, is that not where the integrators come in?

Still raining here !!
    Clyde

Clyde, Aug 21, 2004
  9. Phoneman

Phoneman

Mass Hysteria

Clyde I certainly do not suggest the entry level is offered as a consumer product a-la X10 power point plugs. The offer should be made only through integrators who can sell the entry level product to builders etc then the cream comes with the upgrades at consumer level.establishing a set for the basis with a set of readily made base level componenst. Good installers would sell them given its sureprising price. A real operator will have her briefed all the features and might even show him an idea or to.

For years reailers have known when a the product is well accepted by the community the prograammers and installers all make a quid. Surely Clipsal realise the value of gwtting into the market first and if it is an excellent product the rest simply keep other big players out of the market.
    WE NEED SOMETHING LIKE THIS inportant move Clipsal to the next century,
    From what you said, it sounds like the premier is thinking downthe same circuit! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2004
    Phoneman, Aug 21, 2004
Ask a Question