using thermostat in cool/heat mode

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by CABrouwes, Apr 12, 2012.

1. CABrouwes

CABrouwes

I have a two separate HVAC systems with plants that are capable of both cooling and heating. Each system is controlled by a 4-zone programmable thermostat. My home is experiences wide temperature variations and cooling is often needed during the day while heating is needed at night.

I would like not to have to switch the system between cooling and heating at least twice a day.

How to achieve that?

1. I tried setting up the thermostat on cool/heat but it is very inefficient because it tries to keep the temperature within a much too tight temperature band and runs much more than needed. I would be happy if the temperature stayed within 2 C instead.
    2. I look into using the set back function but the narrower temperature band it can be set to is 4 c. I think this is too much variation. Especially because there is at least 1C if difference in temperature within the home si the effective temperature variation is more like 6 C. (also I would like the fall back function to be available when the home is unoccupied).

Is the a solution?

For example:

1. Is there a way to set up the thermostat to do what I want ?
    1. Should I play with the PID parameters?
    3. Can I use the wiser to remotely switch over the thermostat from cool to heat and adjust the temperature setting (I never look into that).
    4. Can it be done from a PC running Cgate (I have never used C-gate).

Thanks

CABrouwes, Apr 12, 2012
  2. CABrouwes

Darren Senior Member

You could write some logic code to change the HVAC mode between heat and cool. It would probably be quite simple, but needs a bit of thinking first to make sure you come up with the right algorithm.

Darren, Apr 12, 2012
  3. CABrouwes

CABrouwes

I guess that means that parameters such as heating/cooling mode, current temperature and set temperature are accessible and modifiable from program logics, correct ? (i have never checked but if it is the case, I am confident I will manage).

CABrouwes, Apr 12, 2012
  4. CABrouwes

ashleigh Moderator

Don't change the PID parameters!

PID tuning is only for the experts and you need to allow a week for testing that SMALL changes have the desired effect.

I had thought you could change the amount of setback using C-Bus Toolkit, but it is now a while since I looked at this part of it.

ashleigh, Apr 13, 2012
  5. CABrouwes

Darren Senior Member

These are all available via In-built System IO Variables.

Darren, Apr 14, 2012
Ask a Question