Using Single Zone & 4 Zone Thermostats with Hydronic Heating...need help.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mminehan, Apr 12, 2015.

1. mminehan

mminehan

I have a hydronic underfloor heating system in our house. It's comprised of a boiler and a distribution manifold with 7 zones. The manifold has 240VAC actuators and a circulation pump. There is also a hard wired safety thermostat which switches off the boiler if the return temperature is over 40 degrees.

When the circulation pump is switched on the connected boiler fires up automatically.

Using an 8 channel relay to control the pump and the actuators on the lighting application.

So in order to turn the heating on to a zone the actuator needs to open and the pump needs to run which in turn switches on the boiler.

I have one 4 zone thermostat (for open plan kitchen and dining and hallway) and 3 single zone thermostats (for 2 bedrooms and a living room). This gives me 4 independent heating spaces.

The problem I have is how to control the system with the different thermostats.

The 4 zone thermostat is relatively easy: set to hydronic, 'Heating Group 1' controls the circulation pump, and 'Damper Groups' 1 to 4 for actuators for the kitchen (2), dining, and hallway. When I turn on the thermostat the pump comes on (heating group 1) and the respective zone actuators open (damper groups) depending on which zones on the tstat are active. No problem.

But...the single zone thermostats are a problem. They can only control heating groups when set to hydronic. There is no option for dampers. I have tried configuring 'fan' groups with other plant types but am getting a little confused. I don't want a situation where the pump is on (and accordingly the boiler) but not actuators are open.

I there a way to make the single zone tstat turn on the pump when a zone actuator is open?

Thanks in advance. Marty.

mminehan, Apr 12, 2015
Ask a Question