Using PIR to trigger two timers

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by more-solutions, Jul 28, 2010.

1. more-solutions

more-solutions

Can't believe I've not had to try and do this before...

I would like a single PIR to turn on two group addresses when motion is detected, and to turn one of them off after 15 mins and the other after 30 mins.

Can I do this? (If the answer is PIR specific, which products should I choose?)

As an aside: If I want good coverage over a large open-plan office, any techniques I should know about to reduce the number of sensors needed?

more-solutions, Jul 28, 2010
  2. more-solutions

Phil Summers

I think that (coincidentally) the solution to this appeared in a separate thread yesterday http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6190
    Have a look at Nik's answer. In the blocks section one group goes off at 2 secs the other at 15 mins. Pretty sure the same principle would do the business in your situation

Can't help about the coverage issue beyond the stuff in the installation instructions http://www2.clipsal.com/cis/__data/page/2147/5751L_PIR_OccupancySensor-Installation.pdf.

Phil

PS you haven't got an IR reader I could borrow, have you?

Phil Summers, Jul 28, 2010
  3. more-solutions

more-solutions

That was my assumption until I looked at the GUI of the PIR sensors, but I then seem to have got confused somewhere because I was about to tell you why they don't have the same options, but thankfully I double-checked before posting and they do. So what I was doing yesterday when I looked is anyone's guess :)

Thanks for the link. I was actually hoping for some suggestions based on experience - I don't know whether the specified figures are optimistic or pessimistic, for example.

Maybe we should just have sensors at the entrances and by the coffee machine, and set the timer to however long you can reasonably expect someone to go without a coffee - about 10 minutes in my own office :)

Sadly, no. Well technically I have a tv, a stereo, and several other devices that seem quite capable of reading IR, but I'm not sure that helps much! What are you trying to do?

more-solutions, Jul 29, 2010
  4. more-solutions

Phil Summers

No worries, Mark,- glad it's sorted

I was after a 5100RP (used to get codes from remotes into a CBus IR emitter).

Avoid paying ?600 for the 10 bytes of data I need!

Phil

Phil Summers, Jul 29, 2010
  5. more-solutions

more-solutions

I see...

This is a one-off requirement, I assume?

I would have thought that there are plenty of ways to do this. Last time I played with this stuff, I bought a cheap IR receiver (probably from eBay), and bodged it into a serial port somehow! Reading the output from an IR transmitter ought to be fairly simple these days (the 5100RP does rather more than you need, I believe). Look at how some of the open source TV apps (MythTV comes to mind) do this.

more-solutions, Jul 29, 2010
  6. more-solutions

Newman

Newman, Jul 29, 2010
Ask a Question