Using Multisensor for lux levels

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CUB, May 8, 2007.

1. CUB

CUB

Can anybody help me accomplish the following.
    I have a multisensor in a living area of my house that i currently only use only for switching and dimming of local addresses in the immediate area by way of infra red remote.
    I was wondering if I could also use the light level settings of this sensor and some logic to only allow me to turn on certain addresses if the ambient light level in the living room is below set point.
    EG: my sons room is adjacent to the living room and the light in there gets left on all the time, sometimes all day. I was hoping that i could configure the sensor in the living to only allow the lights in his room to be switched on by local switch if the light in living is below a set point, and if they are already on and light reaches set point then they would turn off.
    I could probably just put a light level sensor in room but i like to try to think outside the box.

Cheers for any help.

CUB, May 8, 2007
  2. CUB

Don

That sounds like a good application of the 'bank switching' feature.

You can set the bank switching to turn on or off a group when the light level drops below a threshold. If you chose a controlled group as one NOT directly controlling a load, but instead combine the state of that group using LOGIC in the output unit (dimmer or relay) controlling your son's light, you should be able to lock out your son's light depending on ambient levels in the main room.

There's probably a better way, but it's all I can think of at the moment.

Don, May 8, 2007
  3. CUB

JohnC

Be careful to consider that if the lights are switched on in the living room (ie: at night), that the light level could be fairly high. Hence, your son wouldn't be able to turn his lights on at night if the living room lights were on !

Therefore, you need some (time-based?) method of disabling your "lights on disable". Further, you probably need an override so that the lights CAN be switched on under certain circumstances (eg: son sick duing the day, blinds drawn, need to turn on lights urgently to assist him if sick).

On better solution may be to use a "reset" system. This is used very often in commercial projects to handle the after-hours occupancy (without using PIRs etc). Basically, during the daytime the local switch is a timer, set to (say) 10 minutes. At night, the switch acts normally. This allows local use of the switch, but a maximum duration during daylight hours, unless the button is pressed again.

The neat solution to being "suddenly left in the dark" is to flash (or noticeably dim) the lights a coupl eof times before they switch off - this allows somebody who is in the room to race over and hit the switch to extend the on time.

I hope that makes sense, John

JohnC, May 8, 2007
  4. CUB

Josh

How would you archieve the flashing of the light before swithing off when the light is e.g on a 10 minute timer without a PAC or TS(s)?

Josh, May 8, 2007
  5. CUB

Didiek

Motion Sensor

Hello, My name Didiek from Jakarta
    I have some problem with Motion Sensor, when we entry the room some time the motion sensor do not work, any body can help me pls, because I don't know about C-gate server programing, I'm already read the manual but can not find about Motion Sensor programing

Thanks

Didiek

Didiek, May 10, 2007
Ask a Question