Using eDLT's in partitioned rooms

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by Jessewright, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Jessewright

Jessewright

Hi,

I have only recently completed my basic CBUS training a touch screen course and have now come across a project that has in one particular area of a building, 3 eDLT's across 1 large space that can be partitioned into 3 separate rooms. The partitions each have a reed switch installed which I will wire back to an auxiliary input module L5504AUX.

The particular specs of this layout call for each of the eDLT's to be able to work separately when partitions are in place. If the partition separating room A and B is removed then the eDLT in room A must now be able to control Room A and B, the eDLT in room B has to also be able to control Room A and B. If all partitions are removed then all eDLT's must be able to control all lights in rooms A, B and C.

Looking through the CBUS toolkit I can not find where I can make these adjustments. I have seen mention of making "virtual groups" to suit this arrangement. Could someone please elaborate on these?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers!

Jessewright, Mar 22, 2016
  2. Jessewright

NickD Moderator

With a 3 way join like this each room has 3 or 4 combinations it has to control.

Assuming they are laid out A/B/C, then

The switch in room A can control
    A, A+B, and A+B+C

The switch in room B can control
    B, B+A, B+C and B+A+C

The switch in room C can control
    C, C+B, and C+B+A

You need to create a page for each of these combinations, and then use an enable group (controlled by the reed switch and maybe some additional logic) to lock unit into the page that's appropriate for the joins that are in place.

That's it in theory.. let us know how you go.

Nick

NickD, Mar 22, 2016
  3. Jessewright

Jessewright

Thanks for a quick reply there Nick,

Your description there is spot on how they would like the eDLT's to work.

I've currently got it set up for each reed switch to operate a channel on the auxiliary module but am having trouble figuring out how to link a channel of the auxiliary module to the eDLT to lock the display to a particular page. What would be nice is having 3 pages on each eDLT, for example; room A eDLT would have 1st page room A lights, 2nd page room B lights and 3rd page room C lights. This particular eDLT would only gain access to page 2 and 3 when the correct channels of the auxiliary module were activate by the partition reed switches. There would be similar arrangements on the other 2 switches.

I'm not quite sure how to approach this idea of having an enable group to lock in or enable pages in a eDLT, any chance you could give a bit more detailed explanation of this? Also it might be worth noting I have a C-Touch screen in this network.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2016
    Jessewright, Mar 23, 2016
  4. Jessewright

NickD Moderator

The eDLT has a parameter where you can specify an Enable group that will control which page is displayed (and locks the eDLT to that page). The level of the Enable group defines which page is selected, however at present it's one or all.. you can't select a range.
    You would specify a separate Enable group for each of the 3 eDLTs and then you would need some logic code to look at which groups from the 5504AUX are selected (ie which partitions are in place) and then to set the appropriate levels on the 3 Enable groups to lock each of the 3 eDLTs to the appropriate page.. You say you have a CTouch.. does it have the logic engine?

Unfortunately as I said above, that's not how it's currently implemented. The Enable group level selects page 1/2/3 or 4 (for example, setting the Enable group to level 1 selects page 1). Setting the Enable group level to 0 removes the lock and all pages are available.

This leaves you 4 widgets on each page to control the various lights... you may want to use scenes to do this, but I guess it depends how many different zones you have in each room or what you want to control separately. I would recommend putting the scenes in the eDLTs because then you can still dim them.

Nick

NickD, Mar 23, 2016
  5. Jessewright

Jessewright

Thanks again Nick,

Yes the C-Touch does has a logic engine. From what you've told me it looks like it might be worth attending a Cbus logic course to figure out how to work this all correctly so I'm not stumbling through the dark. The next challenge is squeezing some coins out of the boss to attend the course! But thanks for your help and i'll post here to let you know how it pans out.

Cheers!

Jessewright, Mar 24, 2016
Ask a Question