Using CBUS wireless with energy saving Lamps.

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wireless Hardware' started by daylehouse, Oct 28, 2006.

1. daylehouse

daylehouse

Hello,

Could someone please explain the following statement regarding using energy saving Lamps on the wireless range?

(from CBUS Shop)

"some load types such as compact fluorescent (CF) lamps, (also known as energy saving lamps) are incompatible with dimmers and electronic switches. Do not use these with C-Bus Wireless wall switch relay units (unless specially modified by your installer) or C-Bus Wireless dimmer units"

Does this mean you can not use Wireless Relay switches with any sort of energy saving lamp?

Cheers

Dayle

daylehouse, Oct 28, 2006
  2. daylehouse

znelbok

CF typically cant be dimmed (excpet one by GE and then its not really dimmable in the way we expect).

There was a thread on CF and their suitability for dimming.

http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2464

But to answer your question - No to dimmers, Yes to relays

Mick

znelbok, Oct 28, 2006
  3. daylehouse

daylehouse

Thanks!

Ok great, I thought that it would be odd not to be able to use relays with 'Energy Savers'. Afterall they are just an On/Off. I am sticking with Standard Lamps for dimming at the moment!

Thanks I will put in my order!

daylehouse, Oct 29, 2006
  4. daylehouse

NickD Moderator

Err.. this is not quite correct when we're talking about *wireless* relays.

The wireless relays are still two-wire devices and as such are not directly compatible with compact fluorescent lamps. Two wire devices rely on being able to "steal" some current through the load (even when the load is off) in order to power themselves. This off-state leakage causes compact fluorescents to misbehave when they're meant to be off (the leakage current periodically triggers the load on).

By "not directly compatible", I mean that they can't be used without modifying the installation. There are instructions to tell your installer how to adapt the installation to work with compact fluorescents, in the installation instructions that come with the unit.

Wireless Wallplates Installation Instructions

HTH,

Nick

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2006
    NickD, Oct 29, 2006
  5. daylehouse

znelbok

My apologies - I missed the wireless bit.

znelbok, Oct 29, 2006
  6. daylehouse

JohnC

Haven't tried wireless, but the E27 240V CFLs sure do some weird things on wired dimmers, even when programmed to go 0% - 100% (acting as an on/off switch).

We had a lighting showroom with 3 identical fittings in a line, each separately switched. SOmeone changed them all to CFLs as the incandescent model had become "not saleable". I reprogrammed the switches to toggle the dimmers.... even when off, one of the units flickered on occasionally. There's voltage leakage thru the dimmer, that is enough to make the CFL think it needs to start. It fires, then there isn't enough current available thru the dimmer so it turns off again. Really wierd, and only some of the l;amps did this.

This post only for info - not particularly relevant to the original post.

JohnC, Oct 30, 2006
  7. daylehouse

daylehouse

Mods

Ok thanks Guys, So I guess I do the mod then.. :eek:

I am sure I can get the 1(uf) capacitor and stick it line with the CF lamp. Is anyone using CF lamps with the wireless relays using this mod'? It would be good to know the 'offical / pro' way to install the capacitor...

Dayle

daylehouse, Oct 30, 2006
  8. daylehouse

NickD Moderator

Hi Dayle,

The capacitor needs to be a suitable mains rated type, and needs to be installed in *parallel* with the lamp.. not "in line".

In Australia at least, this mod (well.. actually the entire installation) needs to be performed by a licensed electrician, so they should know the "official / pro" way to install it. This may be different in other parts of the world, so you will need to make sure whatever is done complies with local wiring rules/standards wherever you are.

Nick

NickD, Oct 30, 2006
  9. daylehouse

daylehouse

Switch replacement

I will get my sparky mate to do it!
    Thanks for all of your help!

Dayle :)

daylehouse, Oct 31, 2006
  10. daylehouse

jr_away

Slightly different topic... but will wiring a capacitor in parallel with an energy saver work with wired c-bus dimmers as well?

jr_away, Nov 9, 2006
  11. daylehouse

Newman

Wired or wireless, energy saving lamps should not be connected to electronic dimmers. These lamps can be used with ordinary Wired C-Bus relay units without a problem and they can also be used with Wireless relay units with the addition of the parallel capacitor.

Newman, Nov 10, 2006
  12. daylehouse

jr_away

Newman, I kinda knew that, but hope springs eternal! Thanks for confirming that the laws of electronics have not altered while I wasn't watching. ;-)

jr_away, Nov 10, 2006
Ask a Question