Using C-Bus to transport non C-Bus IR?

Discussion in 'Infrared (NIRT, IR Reader) and CIRCA' started by fleetz, Feb 1, 2006.

1. fleetz

fleetz

I have successfully programmed my Philips Pronto remote with the C-Bus IR commands and with a Neo works at treat.

What I would like to be able to do is use the Neo units as a IR reciever in multiple rooms in the house for A/V - home threatre control. Effectively what I want to be able to do is transmit any of the A/V IR commands from my programmed Pronto to a Neo unit then at the home automation control centre recover the IR commands and via Buffallo Electronic IR emitter units I have be able to control all the IR controlled A/V gear.

I have IR recievers which I could use however this is another plate and cabling to each site. The more elagent solution is to be able top use the Neo units and recovery the IR commands over the C-Bus.

Is there a C-Bus solution to recover non C-Bus IR data??

Thanks,

Fleetz

fleetz, Feb 1, 2006
  2. fleetz

ashleigh Moderator

In short, no.

ashleigh, Feb 2, 2006
  3. fleetz

JohnC

How about drilling a small hole in the Neo and mounting another IR detector in there - not the solution you want, but it saves adding another plate :)

On the Aussie (rectangular) plates there's a fair bit of room at the top and bottom, plenty for a IR device. But to stay symmetrical, you'd have to use a corner mounting screw

JohnC, Feb 2, 2006
  4. fleetz

richy

Yeah, nah can't be done.

The C-Bus network, in NO WAY, can be used as a IR Repeater solution.

The commands have to come out of a NIRT, then you can feed them into the Buffalo.

What you may find, is you dont have enough IR commands to store into your Pronto, that may be accepted by your Neo. i.e. I think the Neo will only accept a max of 8 IR commands, correct me if i'm wrong ashleigh.

So your limited to 8 IR commands.

What would be nice, is if, you could store multiple commands in the neo or touchscreen or which ever input unit, these offcoarse would be assoc. with group addresses, then using the NIRT, you could do what you wanted.

But thats amother project for CIS.

richy, Feb 2, 2006
  5. fleetz

NickD Moderator

As Ashleigh said.. the sort answer is no. C-Bus can not be used to transport the IR itself.. it simply wasn't designed or intended for that kind of use.

The longer answer..

C-Bus can however be used to send messages to trigger the IR output from something else, and this is exactly what the 5034NIRT is designed to do.

The problem you will face is that the Neos are only capable of recognising 16 different codes (Clipsal format). If however you had a CTouch (B/W or colour), they can receive an NEC codes, which opens up a much larger number of codes, so you could :

1) program your Proto to transmit NEC IR codes, for whatever functions you want to control
    2) program a CTouch to send messages on the Trigger Control application in response to these IR codes
    3) program a 5034NIRT with the actual IR codes for your equipment, and to transmit these in respose to the appropriate Trigger Control messages.

HTH,

Nick

NickD, Feb 2, 2006
  6. fleetz

fleetz

Hey thanks guys for the prompt as as per usual accurate answwers to the questions.

I have just had a look at the mounting the IR reciever in the Neo assembly and the Buffallo IR-350 I have look like they will go with a bit of engineering. I might have to get at the mounting box as the Buffallo is quite long.

I would like to give it a go, does anyone know if you are able to buy the black C-Bus assembly that supports the NEO switches, also the fascia and support trim? All are going under the drill! Good to know that I can get a replacements before I get the drill to it!!

Will let you know how I get on.

Regards,

Fleetz

fleetz, Feb 2, 2006
Ask a Question