Using alternative cable to pink cbus

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Clips-al, May 31, 2015.

1. Clips-al

Clips-al

Hi. I want to put a external sensor outside and it's too difficult to run cbus pink UTP wire to the location. There already happens to be a 6 core 14/0.02 security cable wired to the location. Is it ok if I just use this security cable to connect to the cbus network. It's about15m long before it connects To the cbus network
    Cheers

Clips-al, May 31, 2015
  2. Clips-al

pspeirs

Hi,
    Some people will tell you that you need to use the pink cable, has a better insulation properties, etc. You need the twist of cat5 cable for noise reduction, but for a 15mt run that's only running to the sensor there really isn't a problem.

Cheers,
    Paul

pspeirs, May 31, 2015
  3. Clips-al

Clips-al

Ok thanks

Clips-al, May 31, 2015
  4. Clips-al

Conformist

The main reason for the pink cable is the insulation properties (it is tested and rated to 3.75kV). The second main reason is identification of the cable (you know it's C-Bus). Over a short distance, the security cable should not present any problems. Just make sure it is away from any cables that may cause interference as the amount of twisting of conductors is less than that found in Cat5 cables.

Conformist, Jun 1, 2015
  5. Clips-al

CABrouwes

I have an extensive installation, i have never used the pink cable and never had any problem. I do use high quality and properly insulated cat-5.

CABrouwes, Jun 4, 2015
  6. Clips-al

Ashley W

Define properly insulated? Most CAT5 isn't rated to go into switchboards,but yeah it works just like the pink stuff, until something goes wrong. Unlikely of course, but still.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2015
    Ashley W, Jun 5, 2015
  7. Clips-al

CABrouwes

Ok, let me put it more precisely. Clipsal did not invent the Cat-5 cable and there is no magic in the pink cable. However there is a proper way to wire a cable in an electrical enclosure for reliability and more importantly safety, it has to do mostly with distance separation, cat-5 insulation and the quality of crimping.

CABrouwes, Jun 5, 2015
  8. Clips-al

rhamer

In the early days, Clipsal specified 2 pair phone cable, and that's what I put in my first house.

The reality is the C-Bus communications is very robust, and can work in all sorts of environments on all sorts of cable, but the pink stuff takes away any doubt in term of both communication integrity and insulation compliance.

So in short, "Use the pink and you don't have to think"

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Jun 6, 2015
  9. Clips-al

DarylMc

Hi Rohan

If the OP can't get a new cable installed then I think his questions have been well answered.

I was admiring the "use pink and you don't have to think" slogan and then I remembered this.
    http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2344&stc=1&d=1428992876

The cable is just one small part of a safe installation.

Aside from the insulation rating I would use the pink cable for visual identification alone.
    Every little thing is going to help when someone has to come along and work on it one day.

DarylMc, Jun 6, 2015
  10. Clips-al

ashleigh Moderator

I'd point out that CABrouwes is located in the USA where the wiring rules and safety regs are different.

Nevertheless, the piont remains that plain ole cat5 cable is rated to 1500V for the insulation, and the pink cable is rated to 3750V. When playing in switchboards, this (in Australia, UK, and many other countries) is very important. In the USA, I'm not sure as the rules are different.

ashleigh, Jun 7, 2015
Ask a Question