Using a micro-controller

Discussion in 'C-Bus Serial Protocols' started by CABrouwes, Apr 16, 2013.

1. CABrouwes

CABrouwes

Has anyone used the c-bus libraries on a micro-controller ?

... in particular did anyone compile them on the digi rabbit ?

CABrouwes, Apr 16, 2013
  2. CABrouwes

ashleigh Moderator

On the bunny?

Nope. It has a very cut down horrible compiler. Good luck with that.

The code for the C Bus Module has been compiled on AVR, MSP430, numerous ARM processors, a couple of different Hitachi micros, as well as PC (using Borland / RAD Studio C++), linux (gcc), and others. It's been written to be portable for sensible compilers.

Unfortunately the bunny has a lousy compiler.

ashleigh, Apr 17, 2013
  3. CABrouwes

CABrouwes

Thanks for the reply. I agree on the limitations of the rabbit compiler, I chose it because it comes with a built in zigbee module. What I am doing is building a cbus-zigbee interface. Schneider has discontinued the wireless modules in the US and I trying to find a replacement. For this application, I this I will manage by just writing a base bone cbus interface from scratch.

CABrouwes, Apr 19, 2013
  4. CABrouwes

KevinH

I originally wrote my own C-Bus Ethernet interface code for a Rabbit 3700 as the official module wasn't then available. It provides a UDP gateway to the xAP home automation protocol for integration in various HA software like HomeSeer etc but only supports lighting compatible applications. I wanted an embedded solution rather than a PC based gateway.

Later I spent some time porting the now released official module to Rabbit. IIRC I did get the fundamental lighting application working on Rabbit but for the other C-Bus applications I needed to move to a larger processor and I had frustrations with the Dynamic C compiler especially the fragile debugger so I jumped ship to the Netburner platform. With just a couple of tweaks all the modules compile on that and so many of my development environment frustrations went away. I think they might have a ZigBee dev board.

Time constraints mean I still haven't completed my project so I can't vouch for the resilience. I had some periodic C-Bus disconnect /reconnect issues but I suspect those were to do with a coding issues elsewhere.

K

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2013
    KevinH, May 12, 2013
Ask a Question