USB Ports on PCI

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Leigh, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Leigh

Leigh

I found a document on the CIS web site that started with :-

To : All CIS Support Staff and End-users
    Date : 12/09/2003 Ref :
    Subject : USB >RS232 Adaptor Leads & Windows 2000 / XP
    Due to laptop computers commonly being sold without serial com-ports now, we are starting to see an increase in the use of USB>RS232 adaptor leads.
    END QUOTE

With the already rapid demise of serial ports and the massive change to USB ports by the computer industry, why doesn't Clipsal either modify the existing PC Interface to include a USB port or bring out an entirely new product to support USB ports?

Leigh, Feb 28, 2005
  2. Leigh

Richo

Something along these lines might be in development. (wink,wink) ;)

But seriously, it's only a matter of priority. Because we found the dontronics USB adapter worked sowell there was no rush to get something to market. We had so many other cool products to get completed that stopping to create a USB PCI wasn't high enough piority when a solution was readily available and affordable.

Richo, Feb 28, 2005
  3. Leigh

znelbok

Why bother. Just about everyone has ethernet, just use a CNI. Unless there are other issues regarding it, it seems to easiert way to go, no distance limits (ie if the PCI is located in a location that is not near a desk within 5m, as opposed to 100m for a network cable)

Mick

znelbok, Feb 28, 2005
  4. Leigh

Richo

Because TCP/IP configuration can be a real pain, especially on corporate computers which use DHCP. If you are travelling to different sites you may have to go through a process of reconfiguring the CNI or Laptop for different sites to ensure the IP address configuration is matching (same subnet). It can be hairy for people not adept at TCP/IP (which most people are not).

Also if you do take your CNI with you, the CNI requires an external power supply so you need to lug that with you and find a GPO on site next to your access point into the C-Bus.

CNI are great but they have another level of complexity added to them that makes them unsuitable as quick and easy access point into C-Bus that a USB PCI would offer. And making C-Bus as easy as possible is a high priority for CIS.

Richo, Feb 28, 2005
  5. Leigh

znelbok

I would have assumed that anyone playing with C-bus would have an idea of networks.

As to chanigng IP addresses etc. A second NIC goes a long way, a crossover cable removes the worry of DHCP.

If you are taking your own to a job site, then the configuration does not change, so its a no-brainer, even if there is an existing CNI on the network.

As to power requirements, a POE cominer/splitter could be used if no GPO is close to where the CNI is, <which gives me an idea for my CNI in my board.>

No matter what is said for something, someone will always find something negative to say about it.

Mick

znelbok, Mar 1, 2005
  6. Leigh

Richo

Bad assumption. Most people in the world, including the majority of C-Bus installers know very little about networking. And since the only product we have that really uses TCP/IP is the CNI they haven't really needed to.

Of course this will change as the pervasiveness of home ethernet increases and also if you do larger installations where TCP/IP can be a necessity.

Also we will be bringing out more TCP/IP enabled products. But don't ask for more info as I won't say :)

All of that is still alot harder for someone to understand and setup than say pluging in a PCI to a USB port.

I believe it was you who asked "why bother".

Richo, Mar 1, 2005
  7. Leigh

rhamer

I'm a bit surprised you are going to do this.

If the Dontronics adapter works so well and is quite cheap really then just sell them as a 2 piece kit. Then you get serial or USB.

Or

Are you going to do like you did with the CNI and stick the guts of a Dontronics adapter in the same box and still drive it via a virtual Com port :)

Rohan

rhamer, Mar 2, 2005
  8. Leigh

Richo

Don't be. A lot of our new products coming out will be USB. The intergation into PCI is a byproduct of those developments almost.

That will still be an option for users if they want that flexability.

Dontronics adapters will still be a recommended addition to the tool box however as you will need this for our other serial based products if you have no native serial port (excluding Nirt which needs a native port or PCMCIA based one).

The plan is to use native USB and not use a virtual com port. Makes life that little bit simpler as ether the port exists or it doesn't no guess owrk or scanning com ports.

Richo, Mar 2, 2005
Ask a Question