USB Driver for Windows 7

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by Dave Byron, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Dave Byron

Dave Byron

When will a USB Driver for Windows 7 be available ???
    Its getting criticial now as all our laptops now have windows 7 on then.
    The error message says only signed drivers are permitted.

Any work around other then getting old laptop

tks
    dave

Dave Byron, Mar 2, 2010
  2. Dave Byron

ashleigh Moderator

Search the forums dave. There is a posting here telling you how to use an unsigned driver.

ashleigh, Mar 2, 2010
  3. Dave Byron

Don

A quick Google and you can find out ways to allow unsigned drivers for windows 7. I guess M$oft has tightened up on the restrictions in Win 7, but it looks easy enough to get around.

One suggestion was to hold F8 while powering up, and you will be presented a menu of options, one of which is to allow unsigned drivers.

I have no experience with this personally.

Don, Mar 2, 2010
  4. Dave Byron

constantcharge

I am and have been running Windows 7 since beta.

Clipsal drivers and software work fine on this, no compatability issues here.
    Only time I have had to use the method to force an unsigned driver is when I run the 64bit Version of Window 7, and once forced in it works fine.

constantcharge, Mar 2, 2010
  5. Dave Byron

george

george, Mar 2, 2010
  6. Dave Byron

Dave Byron

I am using 64 bit windows
    The install of Toolkit and Piced goes ok and all works well, the USB to serial connection also ok.
    Have reinstall both with the F8 option.

Now the trouble shows up when running Piced and plugin the USB cable to the C-Touch - get the normal "new hardware", "installing"
    etc then the unsigned bit.

Have found the F8 option only good for a session so as soon as you reboot its gone.
    There plenty of stuff on the net like turn off unsigned checking, turn off firewall, turn off virus checking and maybe all users have admin cap.

more searching

dave

Attached Files:

Dave Byron, Mar 2, 2010
  7. Dave Byron

Dave Byron

Windows requires a digitally signed driver
    A driver that lacks a valid digital signature, or was altered after it was signed, can't be installed on 64-bit versions of Windows. You will only see this message if you try to install such a driver on a 64-bit version of Windows.

If you see any of these messages when attempting to install a driver, you should visit your device manufacturer's website to get a digitally signed driver for your device.

Have found the F8 option the best way so far, only trouble is you have to remember at boot time to do it and it resets the next time you boot so not on all the time.

dave

Dave Byron, Mar 3, 2010
  8. Dave Byron

pat911

Hi Dave,

I had the same problem with 64bit Windows 7. I used "Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider" http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=dseo to overcome this.

You will need to uninstall the drivers and then use the application above to sign the three files in the c:\program files\clipsal integrated systems\clipsal USB com port driver\X64, and to enable "Test Mode". You can then reboot Windows7 and install the drivers manually from the above directory.

I think it is now time for Clipsal to bite the bullet and get their drivers digitally signed. The driver enforcement with 64bit windows plus the fact that many new systems will be 64bit to overcome the RAM limit of 32bit os's means that many future uses will have the same problem.

Cheers
    Pat.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2010
    pat911, Mar 3, 2010
  9. Dave Byron

Dave Byron

Patt
    I also had a look at that software but think it will give me more problems then what I started with, such as,

Note: User Account Control (UAC) must be disabled in-order to use this tool.
    Not a good move letting anyone (me) go anywhere.

It has had bugs in the past, just what I do not need.
    * Several Bug-fixes

It has come to our attention that several Antivirus suites have listed our Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider (DSEO) as a dangerous file.
    The bottom line is I think the F8 option to be safer without degrading security and stability of the operating system or putting the master boot records in risk by using other software alternatives.

And I know next time I boot security is back on

tks for your input
    dave

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2010
    Dave Byron, Mar 3, 2010
  10. Dave Byron

pat911

Hi Dave,

That is for Vista only. No need to disable anything for W7. Once setup, it works seamlessly.

Cheers
    Pat.

pat911, Mar 3, 2010
  11. Dave Byron

Dave Byron

Pat

So your UAC looks like this ??

dave

Attached Files:

Dave Byron, Mar 3, 2010
  12. Dave Byron

pat911

Hi Dave,

No, it looks like this...

but that is how it was when I installed Windows 7. I have not made any changes to UAC.

The application mentioned only needs to be run once, not every time you boot. You simply right click on it and select "Run As Administrator" and make the changes as mentioned above. The close it, reboot your pc and forget about it.

What the application does is place Windows 7 (or Vista) in driver testing mode, which is a valid Microsoft mode. This allows signed, but unverified drivers to be loaded. It also signs the drivers for you. The Testing mode will not allow unsigned drivers, just unverified ones to load.

I am not at all affiliated with the program mentioned. I just found it useful to overcome the C-Bus driver issue. You do not have to use it if you don't feel comfortable with it.

As I stated above, the only real fix is for Clipsal to have their drivers signed and verified by Microsoft.

Cheers
    Pat.

Attached Files:

• uac1.jpg
      uac1.jpg
      File size:
      25.9 KB
      Views:
    pat911, Mar 3, 2010
  13. Dave Byron

Dave Byron

Hi Pat
    Tks i was not sure from the site what it was doing and agree with you that , the only real fix is for Clipsal to have their drivers signed and verified by Microsoft..

dave

Dave Byron, Mar 3, 2010
  14. Dave Byron

ashleigh Moderator

OK, well I have to jump in here.

The drivers are actually provided by the silicon vendor, in the form of a universal driver. Clipsal modify about 2 magic numbers (the VID and PID), and rebuild the driver from the supplied kit.

Signing is easy enough. But the driver also then has to go through the WHQL test at a fee of about $10K EACH TIME.

The silicon vendor puts out updated drivers about 6 times a year.

Somebody is making a packet from this but it aint any of us :mad:

ashleigh, Mar 3, 2010
  15. Dave Byron

pat911

Hi Ashleigh,

Thanks for clearing that up. Just out of interest, who does the testing, Microsoft or a third party?

Cheers
    Pat

pat911, Mar 3, 2010
  16. Dave Byron

Dave Byron

Hi Ashleigh,
    My reading on this is that you only have to sign the driver and not go through the WHQL test unless you want the logo.

For example, this signing process for a driver package involves the following:

* A publisher obtains an Authenticode certificate from a CA. An Authenticode certificate is also referred to as signing certificate. A CA can be a Microsoft CA, a third-party commercial CA, or an Enterprise CA.

So i believe you could sign them with say a Verisign Cert

dave

Dave Byron, Mar 3, 2010
Ask a Question