Uploading from c touch

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by Barrow, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Barrow

Barrow

I have a situation where I have been asked to make some alterations to an installation which I did not install.There seems to be no way of uploading the existing file in the CTouch unit so I can edit the schedules and add new pages. Is this the case or am I missing something. To do a full reprogram is time consuming and expensive for the customer.
    The original installer has not left a copy of the program and will not release it to me.
    This is an issue that I would assume will often occurr.

Barrow

Barrow, Aug 19, 2004
  2. Barrow

Richo

Correct. CTouch, Nirt and Cbti are all units that you need the original source files if you want to modify them.

Clipsal is aware that this situation can occur and it is a important consideration in the development of future products.

Richo, Aug 19, 2004
  3. Barrow

Darren Senior Member

The difficultly with uploading C-Touch projects is that they are "compiled" before they are downloaded. It is almost impossible to reverse this process.

Our recommendation is that installers should leave ALL project files with the customer. It is a bit of a grey area, but since the customer has paid for the work, they should own the Intellectual Property, including all files.

Darren, Aug 19, 2004
  4. Barrow

marka

no files

i have come across this a lot,when you turn up to a site and the last installer
    has not left a copy of files on site or with the owner. another problem is when some of these anal retentive intergrators take the interface with them. that realy pisses me off. can be expensive for the customer to start from scratch. :rolleyes: i guess they dont want me to see all there secrets.

marka, Aug 19, 2004
  5. Barrow

Wilko

This can be a problem even if you have the project files. I installed a C-touch at an art gallery, where regularly changing exhibits require changes to light levels within scenes. I've instructed the client on changing scenes via the C-touch, and they do it without a problem. However, if I make changes to the program via PC, they lose the changes they have made.

I've considered making up "Scene change records", like patching records, so they can make notes of any changes. But it's a big installation, and I don't really think they should have to do this.

I understand what Darren is saying about the project being "compiled" before it is sent to the C-touch. But maybe there's another way.. what if the C-bus software could monitor and capture all the commands issued when a scene is activated, then send them to a "scene library"? Then, using the C-touch software, you could pick the scene out and drop it straight into your project.

This wouldn't solve the problem if you had to re-program an entire touch screen, but would at least save you the hassle of re-programming scenes, and would solve my dilemma at the art gallery!

Wilko, Aug 20, 2004
  6. Barrow

Darren Senior Member

This is a separate issue which is being looked at. I can't say when or if it will be done though.

Darren, Aug 20, 2004
  7. Barrow

Dave Byron

saving scenes

Peter
    To save the scenes when updating what i do is connect to cbus within ctouch and then activate the scene, then open the scene and save the current levels. Bad part is i have to go through each scene.
    Then save to pc and download to touch screen and u have the correct levels.
    So now the user only has to record which scene they change not the levels

dave

Dave Byron, Aug 31, 2004
  8. Barrow

Darren Senior Member

Very clever :)

Not quite as easy as uploading all of the data, but a good start !

Darren, Aug 31, 2004
  9. Barrow

Wilko

Great advice Dave! Thanks.

Wilko, Sep 1, 2004
Ask a Question