Update to Window XP, C-Bus won't run

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by SteveD, Aug 4, 2004.

1. SteveD

SteveD

Hello first posting so I hope I do this right.

I have just updated my OS to XP from 98se. Well it's a new machine so a fresh install of XP. In the past when I have updated machines I have just copied the C-Bus directory with all it's files onto the new machine and run the install program received from CIS site.

I have done exactly the same thing in this instance but with no success.
    When I go to run Cbusv2 I get the error that C-Bus isn't installed correctly.
    To rectify re install. If I re install, same thing.
    I tried with V2.7.6 and then with V2.7.7.
    Maybe I need an older version.

Does any one have any idea's of what I can do?
    Thanking you
    Steve

SteveD, Aug 4, 2004
  2. SteveD

Hayden_Fryer

Hi steve,

Back the directory up to a different directory then delete the original

Try installing the version that u had saved, then copy the backup over that installation.

Then try upgrading to the new version (2.7.7)

This way u get the installed files, all the registry settings and the upgrade done in a manner that should work....

should... :p

Hayden_Fryer, Aug 4, 2004
  3. SteveD

Richo

Hi Steve,

To migrate a CBusV2 installation from one machine to another I would be inclined to:

A) Back the "C:\Clipsal\CbusV2\Projects" directory and ALL it's contents. (This can be as simple as copying the directory to another location on your HDD)

B) Installing the latest version of C-Bus Installation Software on th enew machine V2.7.7

C) Copying the backed up projects directory over the top of the newly created "C:\Clipsal\CbusV2\Projects" directory.

Richo, Aug 4, 2004
  4. SteveD

JackD

Or you could use the CB2 files...

Or you could use the CB2 files created by the project manager. This is good if you are emailing a project because it gloms all the files into one file sturdy enough for mailing. Open project manager and select the project you want to move over and select the "export" button. This will create a compact file that you can stick on a diskette or whatever medium you like. The "copy the whole directory tree" approach is good if you want all the projects on one computer.

JackD, Aug 5, 2004
  5. SteveD

[IL]NewGen

Either that or feast your eyes on C-Bus Group Addresses in Hexidec glory when you refresh the network live... :D

[IL]NewGen, Aug 5, 2004
  6. SteveD

SteveD

People, Thanks for all your replys but I still have the problem.
    An update on the problem.
    When I uninstall C-Bus and install a clean version of 2.7.7 with my old projects folder, when I go to run C-Bus I get a message that the following files are missing. CBUSSYS.DLL, CBUSIPC.DLL, CBDB0.DLL and CBUSDB.DLL.

If I copy these files from my old version, I'm back to C-Bus is not set up correctly and needs to be reinstalled.

I have even found my original disks. Run them copied in the projects folder and tried to run C-Bus. Same error that C-Bus is not set up correctly and needs to be reinstalled.

Any other ideas?

SteveD, Aug 5, 2004
  7. SteveD

Richo

OK, time to do some debugging.

A) Backup project directory and store somewhere safe!!!

B) Delete "C:\Clipsal\CbusV2\" directory and everything in it, including all sub directories.

C) Delete the file "C:\windows\cbus.ini"

D) Reboot (ensure nothing is left in memory that shouldn't be there)

E) Install latest version of C-Bus Installation Software V2.7.7

F) Without restoring your projects, try to run CBus V2 and create a project.

Does everything work OK?

If so then Close V2 (make sure it's not running) restore the project directory you backed up earlier.

Now does it work OK?

Richo, Aug 5, 2004
  8. SteveD

znelbok

the cbus.ini file also has the location of the projects folder. Check that you have the same location in that file as to where they actually reside.

My projects reside in a folder on d drive under "c-bus Projects", so I have to do this mod everytime I doa fresh install (which has only happened twice)

Tip, you can share the projects across your lan to others users by modifing this file to point to a mapped drive and location. Has worked fine for me in the past

Mick

znelbok, Aug 5, 2004
  9. SteveD

SteveD

Thankyou to all. Got to be happy now it all works.
    Cbus.ini was the problem. After looking at it I deleted it and starting again and it all worked this time.
    I know I had tried at some stage to put it under program files.
    I had something like the following in cbus.ini but I had everything in c:\clipsal\cbusv2

InstallDir=C:\CLIPSAL\CBUSV2\
    DLL_DIR=C:\Program files\CLIPSAL\CBUSV2
    Projects=C:\Program Files\CLIPSAL\CBUSV2\PROJECTS\

Thanks to all once again.

Steve

SteveD, Aug 6, 2004
  10. SteveD

qwazi1

It is possible to make CBus V2 Run under Program Files.
    I have done so happily for over a year. CBus V2 does not like long filenames. Modify your Cbus.ini file like the example below.

InstallDir=C:\Progra~1\CLIPSAL\CBUSV2\
    DLL_DIR=C:\Progra~1\CLIPSAL\CBUSV2
    Projects=C:\Progra~1\CLIPSAL\CBUSV2\PROJECTS\

Additionally I make a copy of the
    \windows\cbus.ini file and keep it in my CbusV2 folder for safe keeping in case I do move from one system to another. Then I can just drop it into the windows directory of my new system.
    Hope this Helps others keep there C: drive neat. I have no C:\Clipsal folder.
    All my Products work fine under C:\program files\Clipsal which includes just about all of them.

qwazi1, Sep 19, 2006
Ask a Question