Unstable Cbus after 6 years untouched

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wireless Hardware' started by jonmaine, Dec 31, 2014.

1. jonmaine

jonmaine

Hi, I put in a Cbus system several years ago, It consists of saturn switches, some older stainless steel and plastic less intelligent switches a few dlt's and a touch screen. On the control side it has 8 way 1 amp dimmers, some 20a ( 4 x 5 a) architectural dimmers a din rail mounted relay unit 4 way and a few marshalling boxes which I used for straight on off lights around the house.
    I never quite programmed it to its full capabilities but it was all to an acceptable standard and thats how it has been for the last 6 years or so.
    I have been getting some issues arise recently.
    First I noticed some lighting, non dimmed run from one of the marshalling boxes would when switched on only stay on for a couple of minutes then go off, shortly after this the light on the switch went off too.
    Now the same units has two circuits at least which randomly turn themselves on and off with a minimum of 15 minutes between episodes and staying on for maybe only 15 to 30 seconds.
    Any ideas if this is software or hardware?
    Probably unrelated one of the 5a channels on an architectural dimmer works only from the button on the unit now too but not from its programmed switches that should control it. I do have spare capacity on the next dimming unit so if it is a channel gone down I could re allocate the wiring and switching to get over this for now.
    Having superseded the laptop I had the original programming backed up to ( due to failure) I have no option but to download the system programming to another computer a fresh.
    Can anyone give me ideas on what I should be looking to do? I do have a replacement marshalling box ( I bought loads cheaply ) so could just swap it out and reprogram the new one in.
    All thoughts gratefully received, unlike my son I believe its a fault on the system and not a ghost called Trevor.. :)

jonmaine, Dec 31, 2014
  2. jonmaine

DarylMc

Before you start changing things might be a good time to use PICED to archive the Touch screen.
    Archiving saves the PICED files as well as the Toolkit data but I'm not sure if that will work in your case.
    You could try plugging the old laptop hard drive into a usb dock and retrieve your backups and C:\Clipsal folder.

Even without the backups, once you get Toolkit connected you will be able to check for missing units, CBus unit voltages and use the application log to look for messages when the lights are going on and off.
    I think the Touch screen is the most likely to be sending those messages so you could power it off to check.

Check the CBus output unit LED indicators.
    Check key input LED indicators.
    These can give an indication of what the problem is.

If Toolkit can't scan the network check the CBus power supplies and network burden.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
    DarylMc, Jan 1, 2015
  3. jonmaine

jonmaine

Thanks, that gives me a bit of direction, I am just awaiting a rs232 lead so I can connect to the system. I don't intend to change anything straight away. I seem to remember that I can download the programing of the network onto a pc with the cbus toolkit anyway so will try to achieve that first.

jonmaine, Jan 1, 2015
  4. jonmaine

DarylMc

Yes you can use Toolkit to get the project from the network.
    But without a copy of the original project you will lose all the names assigned to group addresses.

What devices do you have on the network to connect your new PC to CBus?
    Which touch screen do you have?
    If you have a B&W touch screen you can use that as a PC interface via USB.

DarylMc, Jan 2, 2015
  5. jonmaine

jonmaine

Its a colour touch screen and I have an rs232 5500pc interface only to connect.

I will see if I can drag that old hard drive out rather than lose the unit names, but that wouldn't necessarily be the end of the world.

Strangely when the light in the kitchen fireplace clicks on and off by itself there is a distinct heavy click which also comes from the cellar, not got there quick enough to ascertain what it is. Not much cbus down there so a bit confusing, in memory other than a couple of light switches there is only a couple of 5104BCL rigged up in the alarm cab to alarm pir's to do walk through switching in corridor areas, but the alarm is not in service at the moment.

I will have to check it out as there is a network cab, fire & burglar alarm systems, abus sound system and more in that area although I am unsure of any more crossovers with the cbus than mentioned...

Could a 5104bcl resting against an alarm cab be noisy if it misbehaved?

Still awaiting my rs232 to usb cable anyway

jonmaine, Jan 2, 2015
  6. jonmaine

Roosta

Hello,

Are you aware of if a 'holiday' mode was programmed into the system? I have had similar issues at sites where someone has accidently turned the holiday mode on and it activates some certain random lights between certain times..

Just a thought..

Cheers..

Roosta, Jan 2, 2015
  7. jonmaine

DarylMc

Hi jonmaine
    I'm not too sure about the bus coupler and interference.
    It is mentioned in the installation instructions.

If interference is triggering the bus coupler input you should be able to see that when you get connected to the network.

DarylMc, Jan 3, 2015
  8. jonmaine

jonmaine

No holiday mode was programmed, I have may lead now, just feeling bloody lousy so will look into connecting up when feeling better , thanks for all the ideas :)

jonmaine, Jan 3, 2015
Ask a Question