Unravel a match serials bug...

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by MrEcosse, Sep 30, 2005.

1. MrEcosse

MrEcosse

We have seen this on a couple of installs and wondered if anyone else had come across it.

Our install method involves scanning the barcodes on the boxes then sending the units to site to be physically installed. A programmer then codes up all the switches and dimmers in the database offsite. They then go to site unravel the network scan it in, match the serials and transfer the programming to the network.

What has happened twice is that the software has 'matched' serials that aren't matched. Unit A in the database is matched with unit B on the network and vice versa. Trying a Match Serials again reports that all the serials are already matched. It can be manually undone but it is a pain. It has only happened so far with output units?!

I wonder if it is caused when the unravel randomly assigns addresses to the units which means they need to be swapped during the match serials, perhaps the software doesn't have a routine for this as it requires the use of a third address to make the swap. Although the matching fails is a flag set which prevents another match serials having any effect.

We'll keep a close eye on thismto see if it happens again, the firstcouple of times,it has caused all kinds of weird effects as the wrong program ends up in the unit. Just as well I'm already bald! :eek:

MrEcosse, Sep 30, 2005
  2. MrEcosse

Duncan

I havent seen it.. but will do some testing and try and recreate it.

Join the league!

Duncan, Oct 1, 2005
  3. MrEcosse

PSC

Duncan,

I have had exactly the same experience. It is very annoying :mad:

PSC, Oct 1, 2005
  4. MrEcosse

Duncan

Peter, the baldness or the serials?

Duncan, Oct 1, 2005
  5. MrEcosse

darrenblake

Sounds familiar

Hi guys,

Had the same issue, you can eventually match all the serial numbers on the network to the database, only after repeated presses of the match serials button.
    The problem seems to be that the software doesnt continue a loop until all serials are soughted as is the case with unit address unravelling.
    Quite frustrating when you have done all the programming in the database, and are hoping for quick download and test.
    I see two possible fixes:
    The first, being able to download to the units via serial no. rather than using the unit address as a reference.
    The second, setting up the match serials button to continually loop and check until all unit adresses and serials are matched.

darrenblake, Oct 7, 2005
  6. MrEcosse

PSC

Duncan, as you know baldness is not something I have to worry about at this stage of life. :p

So I guess that just leaves the serials...

PSC, Oct 7, 2005
  7. MrEcosse

Duncan

It's stalking you, buddy.. trust me :)

Duncan, Oct 7, 2005
  8. MrEcosse

Duncan

I've put this near the top of my list for next week.. thanks for the additional info.

Duncan, Oct 7, 2005
  9. MrEcosse

MrEcosse

Happened again...

Can confirm that this is happening on all of the installations we are undertaking. This time adding a number of new switches to an existing network and the serial matching got all confused on these too!

Difficult to see what causes this, hope you can shed some light on it as it makes installations take much longer than necessary.

Also in the cases I have seen if you try to Match Serials a second time to try and sort the mess the software responds that all serials are already matched. Moving the serials manually is a bit of a pain too, have to completely close down the Toolkit and reopen it in order that I can move things to the correct addresses.

MrEcosse, Oct 22, 2005
  10. MrEcosse

Duncan

Hi there,

I've been looking into this issue and I'm having trouble reproducing the behaviour you've described..

If you have some time at some point.. would you be able to take some screenshots and detail the exact steps you're going through? I'd really appreciate it.

Duncan, Oct 30, 2005
  11. MrEcosse

MrEcosse

No probs

I'm sure it will happen again on the next install due in a couple of weeks.

I'll take screen shots for you

MrEcosse, Nov 2, 2005
  12. MrEcosse

Phil.H

Serial match

Dunc

If you are having trouble reproducing this issue there may be an aspect re the number of new units the software is trying to deal with. I have had reports that things work as expected but these have been small jobs.

Just a thought...

Phil.H, Nov 3, 2005
  13. MrEcosse

Duncan

Hi Phil,

I'm hoping for a database from a Vic site this afternoon that will hopefully let us get on top of this issue.. I think we're going to find some deficiencies in some code we use to compare serial numbers.. I suspect its less than optimal.. but until we have a sample to work with we're a bit lost.

The common factor among the sites who do seem report it working is that the serial numbers have been scanned from a barcode and not typed in. I dont know if this true of all sites having this issue or not though..

More info as it comes to hand.

Duncan, Nov 3, 2005
  14. MrEcosse

Duncan

OK.. I think we know what this is.. still interested in any screenshots.. but if you dont have time an indication of the types of Units you're having problems with would help too..

Duncan, Nov 6, 2005
Ask a Question