Unlocking Featurs of the C-Touch

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by Subzero, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Subzero

Subzero

Closer inspection of the Colour C-Touch it is easy to see that the C-touch is a simple thin client PC running Windows XP embedded using the CompactFlash as the HDD, running Homegate.

Will Clipsal consider opening some of the features of the C-touch ? for example opening the USB ports so that USB web cams can be connected directly to the device ?

Best Regards

Subzero, Mar 11, 2013
  2. Subzero

ashleigh Moderator

This was closed off a long time ago for a very simple reason. It needs to install device drivers, and there are all kinds of hassles with doing this. For example, where do the drivers come from if there is no internet connection? Even if there is an internet connection, how can you be sure the drivers are properly distributed and sign?

There's another consideration. The Windows XP Embedded license agreement expressly forbids using XP Embedded as a general purpose computing machine. If you open things up, then it gets more complex in that you should not allow any general program to be installed (which is essentially against the license terms).... so how do you limit to allow some things but not others? ...and so on it goes. (Example: if opened up you could install MS Word, but the license very clearly does not permit this.)

Finally, the more you allow, the more you have to support. So when a customer complains that they can't install the Chinese coffee cup warmer with integral book light and WiFi access point, guess who has to answer and sort the support call? Clipsal is not a PC support agency, and won't ever be, so allowing "just anything" to be attached is a bad move, because it requires becoming a general PC support group. Bad move, never gives a $ of return.

So don't hold you breath.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2013
    ashleigh, Mar 11, 2013
  3. Subzero

Roosta

Gosh sometimes I wish this forum had a 'like post' option.. As I would have'likes' Ashleighs response..

Myself personally I just cannot see the need for anything to plug into the USB ports aside from maybe, in a poorly designed job, a WiFi dongle, but with the Mk3 I believe we can do this so yer..

Cheers..

Roosta, Mar 11, 2013
  4. Subzero

DarylMc

Hi Subzero

Sounds like you already have a Colour CTouch.
    It can display images from an IP webcam which has a URL that can supply it an image in single JPEG format.
    Then by setting the refresh rate give you video.

It works really well.
    I think it's far better than using a USB camera for the reasons Ashleigh mentioned and many others.
    IP cameras are fairly cheap and readily available but you do need to go though the documentation before you select one and make sure it has a URL to send a single JPEG image.

DarylMc, Mar 11, 2013
  5. Subzero

Subzero

I thought this might be the case , but it never hurts to ask !

DarylMc, you hit the nail right on the head, I have a 4 channel DVR but it was purchased before the C-Touch and is not supported, USB camera was just a thought as I have plenty lying around !

Regards
    Subzero

Subzero, Mar 12, 2013
Ask a Question