Universal Dimmer - Lamp Types

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by raykelly, Nov 28, 2007.

1. raykelly

raykelly

Just to be sure this dimmer can do an ordinary on/off type 240V incandescent as well as a Compact Fluorescent for example.
    Is there any bulb it won't work with?
    I'm looking for flexibility in having to decide later whether or not my channel can dim or switch on/off a light like a relay.
    Cheers

raykelly, Nov 28, 2007
  2. raykelly

NickD Moderator

The universal dimmer will have no problems switching (or dimming) normal incandescents, however it's not suitable for compact fluorescent lamps.

Some types MAY work, however the behaviour is VERY dependent on the lamp itself. Some of the dimmable types are designed for operation with leading edge dimmers, yet the universal dimmer will most likely operate in trailing edge mode (as this is the default if the load is not inductive).

I don't know what the official position is, however personally I would not recommend it as I couldn't guarantee you would be happy with the results.

If you're after energy efficiency, do a search on this forum for posts by JohnC, who is an expert in this area. He has posted some good examples which, IIRC, show that most CFL solutions end up LESS efficient than a good quality low voltage halogen, for the same amount of illumination.

Nick

NickD, Nov 28, 2007
Ask a Question