Universal 4 channel dimmer L5504D2UP works but doesn't show in network scan

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by abg, Jul 6, 2021.

1. abg

abg

I have recently started getting problems scanning my bridged networks which have been working without problem for years. A reflection switch in a bathroom was accidentally splashed (probably hosed) by an over-enthusiastic daughter with the shower 'hose' fitting during a rare cleaning event. The lights in the bathroom started flashing on and off and the blind went up and down. I removed the reflection switch and have replaced it and there have been no further problems with the lights/blinds triggered by the new switch.

BUT....I was wondering if the shorting in the switch (I assume shorting) could have damaged any of the other units or power supplies in the network(s). I now have a 4 channel dimmer that still triggers the lights in a living room via wall switches, HomeGate and toolkit but the dimmer does not show on the network scan. The power and c-bus lights are showing as ok so no obvious problems - very strange it receives messages on the network but the scan doesn't show the unit.

In addition to the invisible dimmer unit both networks are now getting errors during their scans with a number of units showing 'unit not responding' but the ones showing this are not consistent.

I will start to split the system up and see if I can isolate where the problem might be occurring but any suggestions much appreciated.

abg, Jul 6, 2021
  2. abg

Ashley

No

Toolkit hammers the network a lot more than normal operation so it is generally the first thing to show errors. Check power first to make sure you have at least 20V (Clipsal says 15 but I've always found thaa bit flakey). Also old power supplies can still appear to work but put noise on the bus which can kill toolkit but not affect normal operation as the devices will retry up to a point. Sometimes you will see a delay when you switch on a load if you have bus problems. Old systems can also have problems with terminations at switches if not done properly. Moisture/dirt on connections can also give these problems as can rodents.

This is the best approach.

Ashley, Jul 7, 2021
  3. abg

abg

Thanks Ashley.
    According to diagnostic in Toolkit min voltage on network 253 is 28.5V and on network 254 is 23.6V.
    Is it possible the dimmer that does not show up on the network (but still works) could be making the system unstable? Anything that would stand out in a c-gate log ?

abg, Jul 7, 2021
Ask a Question