Units not visible on Network

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scott, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Scott

Scott

Hi,

Hoping for some suggestions on an issue I am experiencing sice a power surge (lightning in the area)

My CBUS network went offline and the relays were indicating no cbus connectivity. I enterered all units into learn mode and they are all appear now to be functioning correctly, with one issue.

I cannot see any of the network other than either Network interface when connecting through the tool kit.

EG: I have a B&W MK2 i can establish a connection to the project, but only 1 unit is visible.....I then go to the relays and connect via the 5500 PC interface and expericnce the same thing, the only item I see it the 5500.

I have read that if a clock is not present on the network this will prevent communications between modules. I have confirmed the time is set on the B&W TS.....I have also manually entered the time into 2 x Digital label switches.

Also I have confirmed network voltage of 30.4v....

Suggestions on where to go from here would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers, Scott

Scott, Nov 18, 2010
  2. Scott

tobex

I can think of only two things. I would use the clipsal C-bus tester for this.

- determine the status of the burden
    - determine the status of the C-Bus clock (not the date/time clock).

Sounds like a loose wire though. Did you try resetting the power on the touch panel by pulling out its connecting cable.

tobex, Nov 18, 2010
  3. Scott

Newman

If both the Unit and C-Bus LEDs are lit on all units (that have them) then the network has a communication clock. If the switches and sensors are able to control the loads then the network has at least some level of communication, which is a good start.

The C-Bus communication clock is different to the time/date settings. If you set the time on the touchscreen and the DLT's did not update to show that time, then that reinforces the idea that the network is having trouble communicating, but this is not directly related to the comms clock.

It sounds like the lighting strike has damaged the unit that was acting as the network clock and burden device. Entering learn mode like you have done has re-established the clock however the burden setting will be unknown. Grab the pink plug-in network burden from the box the 5500PC came in and plug it into your network. Then try to scan your network through the 5500PC again. If you still can't scan your network then I'd look through your Toolkit database for your project to discover which unit it was, and then disconnect it from the network and scan again.

If lightning is common in your area then it would definitely be a good idea to fit some surge protection equipment to your installation:
    http://www.clipsal.com.au/trade/__data/page/81/I39.pdf

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2010
    Newman, Nov 18, 2010
  4. Scott

Scott

Thanks Tobex.

Ok...Isolated it down to 1 of the 12 Channel relays, bypassed and the rest of the network is now visible and functional.

The relay in question was replaced circa 12 months ago due to a similar situarion when it's power supply was taken out.

I think i'll take it out and have a tinker as I have the one with faulty PS perhaps I can make 1 functional unit from the 2.

Cheers, Scott

Scott, Nov 18, 2010
  5. Scott

Scott

Thanks Newman.

Yes, I highlighted the requirement for surge protection to the sparky...sis not happen though.

Will certailnly be getting this happening.

Scott, Nov 18, 2010
  6. Scott

tobex

I have to wonder if that specific 12 VFR is operating large electric motors with a large kick at the start. If so it may pay to isolate the C-Bus power supplies from the loads with a "soft starter".

Purely speculation on my part.

tobex, Nov 19, 2010
Ask a Question