Unit Not Responding

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Nobes, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Nobes

Nobes

We were called to a house the otherday that was having intermittant problems with a dimmer not responding.

Generally the dimmer would work correctly however some nights when they got home, they could not turn on the channels of one particular unit. The LED's on the switches came on when pressed and they said they could turn the groups on via the override button on the front of the unit. After a couple of hours, the unit would start responding again.

Has anyone come across the same problem? Seems the comms side of the unit is going to sleep every now and again. maybe heat?

Cheers,

Nobes, Oct 10, 2006
  2. Nobes

Don

I can't think of anything except an intermittent connection that would give this result. If there is an intermittent, then when the dimmer is NOT working, the key unit will change its LED in sympathy with key presses. If you can catch it like this (key and dimmer in apparent opposite states) and then wiggle wires / tighten terminals, etc., you can confirm the problem. If a good connection is eventually established, then you can expect that in about 15 seconds, the key unit LED will change to agree with the dimmer.

Of course, toolkit or the software diagnostic tool would be good to establish if communication is beng disrupted as well.

Can you provide firmware versions of the dimmer and also the key units? It always helps in case you have found a bug.

Don, Oct 11, 2006
  3. Nobes

Nobes

I'll check the firmware versions when I go to site, and I'll check to see if the dimmer is in the middle of other units. (i.e. if a unit either side is responding then i can rule out conection issues). I know that the lead into the dimmer is a pre fab clipsal RJ45 lead that comes in the box.

Nobes, Oct 11, 2006
Ask a Question